Attic Conversion - No Planning

threeckat

Hi Folks,

Advice needed, I'm sale agreed on a house, and was led to believe by the vendor and estate agent that the house was built as a 5 bed dormer under the original planning permission in the mid-eighties.

It turns out that the original plans specified a 3 bed bungalow.

The vendors are not the original owners, so now I am unsure if the house was built as a 5 bed in breach of planning permission or was converted at some later stage. I had a surveyor look at the property some months ago and he said it appeared structurally sound (though I had informed him that it was not a conversion so who knows how hard he looked)

The vendor's solicitor is suggesting that they would request retention planning permission for the upstairs additional rooms.

I'm concerned on a number of issues:

1. Even if permission is obtained, if I sell the house at some future date, do I have to advertise it as a 3 bed with upstairs storage?
2. Do I need to request the vendor provide a Certificate of Compliance with Building Regulations for what is presumably an attic conversion? (is it even legal to sell a house without one?)
3. I have mortgage approval on the basis of a valuation on a 5 bed dormer, do I need to inform the bank that it has come to light that the house is in fact a 3 bed with an uncertified conversion (almost certainly resulting in withdrawal of mortgage approval)

Should I
a) wait until the vendor produces the correct paperwork
b) significantly reduce the offer on the property on the basis that I am taking on the risk that remedial works may need to be carried out to achieve certification at some future point.
c) walk away

You need to talk to your solicitor and an architect/engineer.

Your contracts will show the planning paperwork for the property. Planning permission and Opinions on Compliance.

This is the starting point. Everything flows from that.

"The vendors are not the original owners"

When they bought, they had a solicitor and they thoroughly inspected the planning history/compliance situation.

mf