Attic conversion in an apartment.

A

askabotger

Attic conversion in an apartment

Hi,

I live on a top floor apartment in a small apartment block (13 apartments) and have access to my attic space. Should it be converted, there is ample room for another bedroom, or at the very least a study.

Has anyone attempted a similar conversion? I've read many of the useful posts here about attic conversions in houses, but there seems to be little information on conversions in attics above apartments.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has gone through this process. What issues arose which are distinct for attic conversions in apartments? What legal issues are there to consider? Was there any oppostion from other residents? Did you find it difficult to facilitate access for builders?

Any other opinions or suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
Ger.

Re: Attic conversion in an apartment

i suspect you will have to get permission from all of the other owners in the block as you all collectively own the block structure - and you just own some space within it.

I know someone that tried to do this but wasn't able to due fire regulations. I'm not exactly sure of the details but it was a non-runner.

You need to check your lease to ensure that you own the attic space first. The lease probably also restricts work in the apartment with out the consent of the Management Company. Obviously structural work in the roof affects the entire building. After that its down to planning permission and building regulations

you need approval from the management company.

a planning application for any works should be made, and the works must comply with all the relevant fire regs and building regs. this means provision for escape, a velux or window below 1300mm and a protected route to the front door of your apartment and the fire exit beyond.

get a good architect.

Thanks for the information!

ramble and shimjimminy, regarding obtaining permission from the management company, why is this required? The management company is employed by the residents and they don't own any part of the building.

I take the point that the roof is owned collectively by the residents. However, there are other apartments in the building where the roof forms a natural part of their apartment - with velux windows etc.

Regarding the points made around fire exits, are the regulations around these stricter for apartments? Is this also a consideration when converting attic space in a house?

Thanks again for any feedback.
ger.

Another consideration has to be the actual construction of the roof. A lot of apartments with pitched roofs are trussed construction. It would be extremly difficult and costly to convert a living space into a trussed roof.