Attic conversion - does it add value?

thejuggler

Does an attic conversion (standard 3 bed semi no ensuite) add value to your house when it comes to resale. In other words when an estate agent values the house does having the extra room (I know it cannot be described as an extra bedroom - more like an office or playroom) add much to the asking price?

If it is not going to meet building regulations for a habitable room and takes up space on the floor below for stairs it may actually reduce the value of the property.

When thinking of getting it done was advised, not going to add value, just going to make house sell quicker, if done well.

Same with conservatory.

Also depends on type of house.

Was speaking to some neighbours from my old road. Going back about four years ago they spent €33K getting an attic conversation and a high spec. kitchen. It was done to a very high standard.

Houses in the area are now selling for €340K. They put theirs up at €360K, no interest. Sold at €345 to include all their furniture. Not a great return.

HI

If you get a good one done with a cert of compliance it will be a good selling point for a 3 bed house.

A friend of mine got one done and is selling his home. His EA reckoned it has added around 30K to the value of his home. But it worth pointing out that they spent the money and got it done properly.

Agree. We'e been looking into this and if you go for the cheaper option you cannot class it as a room. If you go through the proper avenues and get a cert of compliance and make sure it meets fire regulations you can class it as an extra room. We have a 4 bed and are thinking of adding a large bedroom and small storage room which could be used as a bedroom and if we get the cert we can class the house as a 6 bed. If not it will just be a converted attic.

Very few attic conversions are habitable accommodation as I think half the floor area must be full ceiling height to qualify. The cert of compliance states it is non habitable, and doesn’t require a fire certificate or planning permission and is compliant with building regulations.

The only way to make it habitable accommodation (where you can call it an extra bedroom/office) is with a dormer conversion, this does require planning permission, and you are also into fire regulations. This is a much more expensive job.

I think the first option if done well and if the space needed for the stairs does not make an existing bedroom too small it will be seen for what it is and add value.

hi

I have an attic conversion with ensuite in a 3 bed house.nice job job good size room loads of storage at side they built in doors.It is used as a bedroom and there is plenty of room.Ok it does dip down ay bit at the side but there is ample room in it.

Does an attic conversion (standard 3 bed semi no ensuite) add value to your house when it comes to resale. In other words when an estate agent values the house does having the extra room (I know it cannot be described as an extra bedroom - more like an office or playroom) add much to the asking price?

The best person to answer your question would be a local estate agent.

Back