Attack on CAO website.

Sue Ellen

Moderator.
Don't normally bother ranting and raving because life is too short but why would anyone be bothered attacking the CAO website. Sad person just because all the students would be looking for their places. Luckily enough daughter logged on at 6 a.m. and got her info before it hit.

Will I be very brave and say what 'man' thought of that ;)

Attack or website not ready for the traffic ?

A denial of usage attach causes the same effect as an underpowered site.

Well the government are always on about creating the smart economy!
It is stupid but can only have been kids so you would wonder about security

Ridiculous story.

A few people now and again log on over the last few months.

And today, tens of thousands of students log on at the very same time. Of course it's going to struggle.

This happened last year also!
People who logged on at 6am had no issues but by 8am the site was crashing due to the workload.

This Denial of service story sounds to me like an attempt to blame their lack of preparation.

I'll call this what it is - a sexist comment. From a smug person who got what they wanted before the event.

Or else it is a windup.....

Or else you are a bloke whose Dad named you Sue ala Johnny Cash...........................................................

Luckily enough daughter logged on at 6 a.m. and got her info before it hit.

She is hardly alone.
Lots of students did that.

Anyway in my day when dinosaurs roamed the earth, we didn't accept online.
We saw the points in the newspapers and waited for the letter from Galway
And it worked fine

Realy, on 1st round of offers day the CAO site will struggle but it'll do fine for the other 364 days of the year.
Lets relax everyone :)

I wasn't convinced it was hackers myself. Don't think they need to put anymore into the system though - sure it's only needed once a year. Patience is a virtue you know. I am from the era when you had to buy the newspaper to find out.

The first thing I thought when I heard the DOS story was bad website/DB design and/ or bug and no Load Testing performed. The fact that they were able to 'fix' the problem so easly also points to it.

They claimed they had sufficient load tested to allow all 60,000 students log on at once, but didn't allow any extra for parents, siblings, cousins and everyone who went to college since the points system was invented logging on to see whether they would have got their course this year and how many is that in "old points".

Back