ATM raids - is it not simple to stop?

RMCF

I listen to stories about these daring raids and keep thinking to myself,

" can they not install an ink device like they do in the portable cash boxes that will explode in the cash compartment if the ATM is pulled out of the wall"?

Its not rocket science, is it?

I've raised this before with my next door neighbour who is a bank manager.
Apparently the ink idea is a non runner because of:

1. Cost
2. Health and Safety

I've raised this before with my next door neighbour who is a bank manager.
Apparently the ink idea is a non runner because of:

1. Cost
2. Health and Safety

Sounds like nonsense to me.

Cost? Surely losing tens of thousands from every ATM raid is pretty costly? Not to mention damage to equipment and the cost of reinstalls?

H & S? Can't believe this one. Health of who? The raiders? We already use ink in the handheld money boxes getting delivered to banks so why can it not be used in ATMs? I can't see a reason.

Sounds like nonsense to me.

Cost? Surely losing tens of thousands from every ATM raid is pretty costly? Not to mention damage to equipment and the cost of reinstalls?

I would imagine it is costly but not as costly as installing the exploding dye packs.. AIB has 280 branches... at a (very) conservative estimate there are twice this number of ATMs for this bank.

A quick google throws up this:

[broken link removed]
So the initial startup for one bank (AIB) would be $2.5m. Thats not including the maintenance cost of the dye packs...

H & S? Can't believe this one. Health of who? The raiders? We already use ink in the handheld money boxes getting delivered to banks so why can it not be used in ATMs? I can't see a reason.

Are you sure that ink is already used in handheld boxes ? I didn't realise this was the case... there are real H & S issues for those who have to load the ATM on a regular basis. This wikipedia link highlights some of the potential dangers of exploding dye packs...

Are you sure that ink is already used in handheld boxes ? I didn't realise this was the case... there are real H & S issues for those who have to load the ATM on a regular basis. This wikipedia link highlights some of the potential dangers of exploding dye packs...

It is and I know someone who was stuck in the revolving door of the security van with a box with only a limited lenght of time before it went off.

Back