ATM Claim Dispute unresolved nearly 5 months on!

T

tyres

Looking for some advice on what options are available to me with regards the following.

While travelling in Italy in late Oct last year I made a withdrawal from a Italian Bank branch ATM for €250. I recieved a reciept but no cash. The following morning I called into branch to query the withdrawal. The bank officials in the branch were of no help as none of them had could speak fluent English. After much time spent trying to explain the situation, I left the branch with an acknowledgement from the person I was dealing with that I had not recieved the money. They had said that there were numerous transactions that weekend that were being queried. He said it would take a couple of weeks to rectify the transaction and to get in touch with my own bank at home (AIB). The acknowledgement I recieved is on headed paper, stamped, signed and dated by the Italian Bank Official also.

I returned home and went into branch in AIB branch in Kildare to report situation. This time I was told that it could take up to 2 months or so to rectify the transaction, I was then asked to fill in ATM Claim Dispute form which I did and was then told form would be put in internal mail and sent to my own branch in Galway. I still have the original ATM Claim Dispute form which is stamped and dated.

Two months then past and I had heard nothing from AIB so I rang them. They then told me that no form had been recieved and that they knew nothing of this dispute and neither did Head Office in Dublin. The bank official then took the details again and said she would process it and that it would take upto 2 months again. On 4th of March I rang them again to be told that no decision had been reached.

Yesterday, I recieved a call to tell me that the Italian bank has refused to settle the dispute by claiming that ATM was balanced and correct. Bank Official has now asked to see letter I recieved from Italian bank which acknowledged that I didn't recieve the money, which will be delivered to them today. She dosen't appear to sound too hopeful that I will be reimbursed my money.

Any ideas as to what my next course of action is here....do I pursue the Italian bank in question? Are AIB to blame for delaying the process by 2 months because of their crap internal post?

Really frustrated as you can imagine and would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions......

Tyres

Re: ATM Claim Dispute unresolved nearly 5 months on!!!!

It's up to AIB (as your bank) to sort this out. If you're not happy with outcome, complain to the Financial Services Ombudsman - [broken link removed]

Ask AIB for a final response letter. Then take the matter to the FSO.

And forget about pursuing the Italian bank.

+1

It is AIB's responsibility. Something very similar happened to me in the USA several years ago re $600 from my BOI account. Took four months to get money back.

Maybe tell AIB you are going to report them to the FSO unless you get a positive response by X date, and wait and see what happens?

You cannot report them to the FSO until you have a written final response from AIB.

The next correct step is to request a Final Response letter from them in writing. Send the request by registered post.

My wife had a similar problem in the UK. When she went into the bank that owned the machine they just told here to report to her own bank in Ireland, which she did. I even reported the false transaction to the local police in the UK who were not interested. She did however receive a refund after a few weeks, but we are at the mercy of the bank that owns the AMT machine.

+1

It is AIB's responsibility. Something very similar happened to me in the USA several years ago re $600 from my BOI account. Took four months to get money back.

Maybe tell AIB you are going to report them to the FSO unless you get a positive response by X date, and wait and see what happens?

I disagree that it's AIB's responsibility - customer withdraws from an ATM belonging to an Italian Bank in Italy, and the machine doesn't give them the money.

While as a customer of AIB OP is correct in seeking AIB's assistance to see if they can get the money back, but I don't see how or why AIB can be held responsible - if the Italian bank refuse to give it back to AIB (for their customer), there's not a lot AIB can do about it...

I'd be surprised if the FSO took a different view...

P.S. I have no affilation to AIB - nor am I a customer of theirs.

The Op has no standing as a customer of the Italian bank so has no recourse except to back to AIB. If they can't sort it out the FSO will.

i lost 4,500 when i used 2 atm cards in a bad atm in asia

banks are terrible to deal with when this happens

especially halifax,aib were a bit more understanding but im still waiting on the refund from both

Hi,
Thought I might bounce this.
Something similar happened to me two months ago in Austria the day before I flew home - requested €400 from ATM, nothing received, account debited €400.
Could'nt call to the bank in person as my flight was early the following morning.
I filled in a bank reconciliation form immediately after I came home.
AIB contacted me today to say that the bank running the ATM in Austria had forwarded logs of the transactions and that as far as they're concerned (Austrian Bank) the €400 was issued to me.
I've asked AIB to appeal this to the bank in Austria but they've informed me that this could take the Austrian Bank another two months to review.

What is the best way to bring this to a speedy resolution?
Should I request a written final response from AIB and refer matter to FSO?
Thanks,
K

Kaiser if the bank recon balanced, and you didn't report it there and then you probably have a job on your hands as it's your word etc. Is it possible this ATM was scammed in someway? Can you ask Austrian Bank if anyone else reported similar problems? You may need to build a case, in any event, it will likely be a slow burn. And if the Austrian Bank insist their records are right, I'm not sure what the FSO could do about it.

Thanks horusd.
Forgot to mention, I used a 2nd card (joint account) at same ATM immediately after previous €400 transaction and money was issued as requested.

Thanks horusd.
Forgot to mention, I used a 2nd card (joint account) at same ATM immediately after previous €400 transaction and money was issued as requested.
My first thoughts were that some kind of device may have been fitted to the ATM to allow scammers to return and retrieve the cash as the ATM had balanced , however if you managed to withdraw with a different card then that would seem to eliminate the device theory.
What time period elapsed between both transactions? Did you leave the ATM at any time which would allow scammers retrieve their device and your cash? Could be done in a matter of seconds.

I withdrew the money from my second account immediately after the botched €400 transaction i.e. there was no window of opportunity for scammers to retrieve cash.
I did'nt think anything was amiss until I came home and checked my online banking.
Would the FSO be able to contact their equivalent (if there is any) in Austria to pursue this matter?

My first thoughts were that some kind of device may have been fitted to the ATM to allow scammers to return and retrieve the cash as the ATM had balanced , however if you managed to withdraw with a different card then that would seem to eliminate the device theory.
What time period elapsed between both transactions? Did you leave the ATM at any time which would allow scammers retrieve their device and your cash? Could be done in a matter of seconds.

They will not do anything as the customer is not a customer of an Austrian bank.

the thing is that banks have record of each transaction made from the ATM and they have all the calculation plus minus every second of cash from ATM but you can talk to the manager or you can take some action with the help of a lawyer

Back