ATM card skimmed

Palerider

We were contacted this evening by phone, it was an automated voice system claiming to be from Ulster Bank, I was sure it was a spoof and so I checked the number, turned out it was a genuine attempt to reach us, my wife in particular.

Turns out she used her Ulster Bank ATM card yesterday in an ATM at UB Dalkey, they have confirmed ( somehow ) that her card has been skimmed, we verified recent transactions and the card has not been used, the card was cancelled, what is interesting is that yesterday Mrs Palerider put her purse over the keypad when inputting her pin, that in my view saved the card from being used, saved the bank some money and ensured the Crims ploy did not work on her card at least.

Honest Joe 1 Criminals 0

A little reminder to pass on, cover that pin number, it could happen to you too....

Good to know, ta, especially since I use that machine on occasion. Dumb question --how do they know it was skimmed? ... presumably found the machine tampered with and calling everyone who used it as a precaution? I wonder what happens if you use a non-UB card.

Covering the PIN pad does not always work. The scammers do use a replacement keypad on top of the genuine pad which record your details.

Had our boi card skimmed, easy locate machine as we only use one point ever...there is technology that reads the pin from within or underneath, covering the numbers only prevents people behind you or cameras getting a shot....

we got a phonecall in middle of night telling us to ring a number on the back of our card...various british pounds transactions all day starting from say 6,54 to last three of nearly 600 think....money put back few days later..