Athy - a good place to Buy?

scober

Any views on purchasing Apt in Athy or what the area is like?
Would be an investment Property

Almost bought there section 23 (The Harbour Canalside), pulled out because 1 There is a massive premium on section 23 properties and 2 The congestion on the roads in Atty at any time of day seems to be worse than peak time central Dublin.

We just moved last Oct and in the beginning the town feels a bit clicky but more and more people are moving down and we have met some lovely people both locals and blow ins like outselfs!

If you look up the Iarnrod Eireann website and check out time tables for the Dublin to waterford line and look to Athy you can see what times they depart and arrive in Athy. The main ones however are 6.40 in the morning which gets into Heuston about 7.45. the next one is a new service they put on which operates from the 27th of March and that leaves Athy at 7.35 and again arrives in Heuston about 8.40. The one after that is 9.00 that gets you into Heuston about 10.00.There are a few more after that but not sure of the times because i dont get them. The trains are roughly every two hours but plans are apperantly underway in Iarnrod eireann to make this more commuter friendly!The ones home are at 3.05,4.25 and 6.25 and the last one is at 7.45.If you need any more info at all just give me a shout! Give it a few months and you will love it!Its between 15 / 20 mins to Carlow and about 25 mins from Naas/newbridge if you want a more frequent train service. A new hotel has been built with a lesuire centre and a swimming pool which Athy town has one already,Plenty of pubs a few resturants and Takaways,indian,chinese,Itallian& a chipper!

My sis had a place there and just solda few weekd ago to pay off her mortgage! she had a 2 bed apt and there was a huge demand to rent it for some reason , there were never a shortage of tenants and it certainly is a nice town, its v near Carlow and only 15 mins from Newbridge which are great for shopping. Best of luck if you decide to buy.

Back