At what stage do we need to be looking at digging the well, windows ready togo in now

roadrunner

at what stage do we need to be looking at digging the well, windows ready to go in now.

Im not sure I understand your question.

Have you a temporary water supply of any sort?

I know that depending on what part of the country you live in there can be a delay of up to six months before you can get a driller in to drill a well. I am also aware that there are parts of the country where you are not allowed bore a well.

Are there other houses near your new build? What is their source of water?

aj

Its easier if you can wait until you have power on site so you can connect the pump etc in one go, I'd not sure though so I'd be interested in hearing what others say as I will have to bore a well on my site, no mains passing the road.

If you dig it now & put the pump in you can fill a few barrels for the plastering etc from it. It should be able to run off the generator provided you are not switching it on & off a lot .

Hi, we are just putting the windows in and we were advised that it's best to put the well in now. So we organised it over a week ago, and the guy came out on Wed - and we struck clean drinking water at 100ft..

So all we have to do now is fit the pump, this will be done later, when the plumbing is happening. Our pump will in installed in the well.

One valuable lesson to learn according to a friend of mine who was badly advised and ripped off, is that some guys put in a pump that is not suitable for the requirements of the house. As a result, a pressure in one part of the house may be poor, when lets say, the shower is in use. I think there is a maths equation - lets say 2 points for shower etc....

Another thing, as most drilling companies charge per foot of drilling, some tend to go further than they need to. This happened in the case of my bro-in law. He had a fair idea that there was water at around 100ft, but couldn't make it to the site when they were there. These bucko's drilled several feet lower (I think another 100ft). Naturally, bro-in law disputed this, and in the end, they had to cover 50% of the cost each of the extra 100ft they went. In addition, the water is not great now. So the lesson in this is to be present when they are drilling. They may not like you standing over them, but it's your water and your money!

Re: At what stage do we need to be looking at digging the well, windows ready togo in

The showers are more than likely run from the water tank in the attic, which has nothing to do with the pump in the well. The reason for the pressure being low in one part of the house, is probably to do with the fact the shower is plumed from the same line!

In regards to fitting a pump, it is important that it is sufficiently large to meet to demands, but the household demands aren't that huge. It is often nearly more import to get the proper size pressure vessel, as this affects how often the pump is turning on and off.

In the past few years, drilling companies drill a lot deeper than they need to and then line the well most of the way down. This means that the water, then comes in from the bottom of the well rather than half way up. This should result in higher quality water. Other than that, the depth of the well has no impact on the quality of the water.

Also it's important to continue drilling after you hit water. There are several reasons for this
1) The well isn't actual tested to see how much water it can produce. So in the case of a hot summer, where water levels drop. You need to ensure that the well is deep enough to cope with this.
2) you don't want the pump sitting on the bottom of the well.

3) As I said before, I think that it's a good idea to line the well, so it needs to be a bit deeper.

just my two cents worth.

30 to 40 euro per meter I think. Well should be deeper than water table for reasons given above. Ask drillers to 'develop' well for about 30 to 60 minutes after they have finished drilling. This involves them blowing compressed air (which they use during drilling) into the borehole; this agitates and lifts water out of the well thus cleaning out debris, cuttings, drilling oil etc from the well which will improve water quality and your pump life. There will be a charge for this though its worth it. Also, if you are putting in a well then likely you are putting in a septic tank and percolation area too. Ensure the location of your well is as far away and upgradient from the percolation area as possible and fronm the percolation areas of neighbours or other potential sources of pollution.

iris

Hey roadrunner,

We recently got another well in, in Cavan.
We simply rang the local well drilling company (who is Brendan Boylans if you're round Cavan) they told us roughly an amount per certain distance (can't remember) and that was that, so it's simple enough once you are allowed to drill a well.

But my understanding of Irish Law is generally it's your land, so you can !

Lao.

Re: At what stage do we need to be looking at digging the well, windows ready togo in

drilled the well & came to 155 foot. any idea going rate per foot for drilling?
also how much would pump be €1500?

drilled well - they went to 260ft! I wasn't there and so I def. question the need to do so. Thankfully they hit rock at 20ft down so saved a bit on the steel liner. Mind you they hit water at such pressure that it comes roaring out of the ground like Texan oil and has done so now for 4 months (had to get it drilled & tested in advance of our commencement notice as part of the planning requirements) so don't think I'll need a pump at all (gravity feed at a significant down-gradient to house) - holding tank + pressure pump into the house shoud then do it - any comments? Had it tested and it is as pure as pure can be - beats most of the data I read on the mineral water bottles - anyone want to buy any?

Drilling rates differ based on soil or rock - more expensive to drill into soil for maintenance and steel liner per foot - once you hit rock its easier as the machine can be left go along (to a point) and no steel liner req'd - so it depends - in the end they charged 4k for the job to 260ft (I'd say half this would have been OK based on the water on site) - still have crystal clear water roaring out of an underground spring so can't complain!

good stuff - you could nearly see australia at that depth! was the €4K inclusive of a pump? otherwise it`s €15 per foot drilling.

.. a pump .. sure what do I need a pump for .. the stuff is coming spouting out of the ground in a fountain!!

I can't remember exacts and can't find the paperwork - it was one cost per foot for soil, another (chepaer) for rock, and then you paid per foot for steel lining (where no rock) and then per foot for well lining (the full thing) - so your 155ft will depend on where they hit rock for a final cost perhaps

drilling cost per foot + liner per foot + steel liner per foot = total

did you not agree these costs in advance??

nothing agreed, know through family connection so hopefully do some kind of deal.
i thought 155 was deep until I saw yours!