Asset Allocation and the Newbie Investor (Directly in Shares)...

ronaldo

I've read alot of the investment board topics and hear time and time again about how it's important not to be overexposed to shares in the ISEQ, i.e. make sure that your portfolio is not made up entirely of Irish shares. As a beginner investor, I was planning to heed this advice and build up a portfolio of European shares.

My question is: Could the same be said for someone overweight in European shares, i.e. should one also diversify outside of Europe by buying shares in USA, Japan, etc.???

My opinion is that, if one were investing in Quinn Life, it would be easy to diversify outside Europe as it merely involves changing the percentage allocations. However, as an investor directly in shares this is much more difficult.

Therefore, I'm of the opinion that, when starting out, it would offer reasonable diversification to invest in a basket of 10-15 shares within the Eurostoxx 50 during the time you are trying to build up a reasonably sized portfolio. Then, when you have enough of an investment in the markets to make it worthwhile looking into US and other shares, you could look into shares in foreign currencies.

Does the above seem reasonable and, if so, when would you consider the optimal time to look at international shares?

I think I'll start looking into shares within the Eurostoxx 50 and the Eurostoxx Dividend 30, select 15 of these and start building up my holdings until I have about the equivelant of one years salary invested. Then I'll start looking at the USA or the Far East. Does this seem like a sensible enough idea?

Its not that simple

Alot of major companies on european stock exchanges would have major exposures in US ,FAr east etc and their share price will be affected by what is happening in these economies

I think your approach is a bit OTT for a small investor .
If you are completely diversified you'll end up with an average return anyway, good returns and bad returns

You would do better with judicious purchase of stocks in one market,do a bit of company research etc,read phoenix etc

Back