Assault

Ada2019

A friend of mine was the victim of a physical assault resulting in a black eye and a residual small scar. The person who punched them has made an allegation that my friend broke their tooth. Basically he fell off a stool at a party when everyone was laughing at a joke then jumped up and punched my friend who had been sitting beside them in the face, damaging their glasses and leaving them with a nasty bruise and cut. There is a witness statement confirming this but my friend told the police at the time of giving his statement that maybe he bumped off the other guy when they were laughing and joking but that he wasn't sure. Can my friend also be charged with assault?

Yes.

Whatever happened, happened.

Someone will make a decision as to who, if anyone, should be charged.

If charged, they can meet the allegations and a Judge will decide.

mf

Thought so. I guess it'll be down to their solicitor to argue for them if it comes to that. Bit unfair if accidentally bumping into someone gives them cause to intentionally cause harm.

Thanks for the reply.

Bit unfair if accidentally bumping into someone gives them cause to intentionally cause harm.

People often have very different perceptions of the same event, they're entitled to lodge a complaint based on their own perception. Hopefully the authorities, whether Gardai or the courts will arrive at the truth.

Back