asking tax questions in busier forums than the tax forum

Zapatista

Something that really annoys me about AAM is when you have a question that ends up in one of the less frequented forums and therefore you end up with far fewer responses. I posted a question about Tax in the Miscellaneous Forum which was quickly moved to the Taxation Forum. The problem here is that I have no replies as of yet, whereas if it remained in the Miscellaneous Non-Financial Questions I would more than likely have seen numerous replies posted in response to my question. I realise this is no fault of the Administrators, etc. but I just felt like Letting off some Steam as this really irritates me. If I asked a question about the name of a TV character in a 70's TV show or where I can find someone to wash & blowdry my dogs hair I'm sure I would have no problem but when I ask a tax related question on ASK ABOUT MONEY I'm surprised when I don't get a quick response from someone with even slightly more knowledge of the taxation system than myself.

Zapa.

Re: Popular Threads

Maybe all the tax advisors are working and will get around to your queston later.
I agree that something specific like TAX is a forum i only visit if I have a question on Tax and not one i frequent. I would however browse the non-specific sections more frequently. I wouldn't be an expert on tax and maybe those that are go there more frequently.

Zapatista said:
Something that really annoys me about AAM is when you have a question that ends up in one of the less frequented forums and therefore you end up with far fewer responses. I posted a question about Tax in the Miscellaneous Forum which was quickly moved to the Taxation Forum.
If it's a tax query then it belongs in the Taxation forum. See the .
The problem here is that I have no replies as of yet, whereas if it remained in the Miscellaneous Non-Financial Questions I would more than likely have seen numerous replies posted in response to my question.
I don't accept that this is necessarily true.
I realise this is no fault of the Administrators, etc. but I just felt like Letting off some Steam as this really irritates me. If I asked a question about the name of a TV character in a 70's TV show or where I can find someone to wash & blowdry my dogs hair I'm sure I would have no problem but when I ask a tax related question on ASK ABOUT MONEY I'm surprised when I don't get a quick response from someone with even slightly more knowledge of the taxation system than myself.

What query are you talking about and when did you post it (please post a link to the thread in question). Maybe you simply didn't give it enough time as per the .

Hi Zapista - Here's a few things that really annoy me about Askaboutmoney;

- Posters who take, take, take from our community and provide very little input and yet complain about not getting responses to their queries. I did a quick review of the first 2 pages (50 posts) of your posting history, and I reckon I can see about 3-4 answers to questions in there. The rest of your posts are questions. Perhaps if you were to consider 'leading by example' and helping out others by answering more questions, you might find that your own posts get answered more speedily

- Posters who complain about not getting an answer just over 14 hours (most of which were the sleeping hours for most of our users) after posting a question, assuming that your complaint referred to this thread. Please be reasonable. This is a volunteer community. We don't have a 'service level agreement' as to how quickly you are likely to get a response. Is this really a burning issue for you that absolutely needs to get resolution today? If so, perhaps you need to direct your query elsewhere.

- People who fail to search for similar previous questions before asking their own question to avoid unnecessary duplicated work.

- People who complain about posts being moved given that the link to the original post STILL APPEARS in the original forum. So anyone who visits the original forum will still see the thread and can still get into the thread with a single click.

Regards - RainyDay

RainyDay said:

-This is a volunteer community. We don't have a 'service level agreement' as to how quickly you are likely to get a response. Is this really a burning issue for you that absolutely needs to get resolution today? If so, perhaps you need to direct your query elsewhere.

or god help us pay for the information, or ring the tax office and ask them.

ClubMan said:
If it's a tax query then it belongs in the Taxation forum. See the .

I realise this.

ClubMan said:
I don't accept that this is necessarily true.
[/color]

That's your opinion. I disagree

ClubMan said:
What query are you talking about and when did you post it (please post a link to the thread in question). Maybe you simply didn't give it enough time as per the .

I have a reply now which answered my tax query. I knew I would, as always, get a satisfactory answer and I am aware that there is no guaranteed timeline for responses to queries. That was not the point of my original post.

Zapatista said:
I realise this.
Then what's your problem? The post was moved into the correct forum (presumably with a redirect from the original incorrect forum left in place) and you got an answer after about 24 hours. If you realised that you posted in the wrong forum then why did you do this in the first place?

That's your opinion. I disagree
OK - even if you are correct then you seem to be saying that arbitrary queries should be allowed in any forum on the basis that the forum is more active and therefore more likely to generated responses? On that basis we should have just one forum for everything and not bother categorising queries into different forums. That sounds ridiculous to me.

I have a reply now which answered my tax query. I knew I would, as always, get a satisfactory answer and I am aware that there is no guaranteed timeline for responses to queries. That was not the point of my original post.
I don't see any basis for your original complaint, you posted a query in the wrong forum, it was moved (with a redirect left in place?), you got an answer in just over 24 hours and then you posted a complaint about it (in the wrong forum again). Seems to me that some people just want to moan about AAM for the sake of it. No doubt I or other moderators will yet again be accused of being hard on contributors but, really, if some people can't accept that queries have to be categorised into different forums, that they need to abide by the posting guidelines and that they need a little patience in terms of getting responses then I give up...

To whom it may concern,

I stand by my original post. Also, It's intended purpose was to allow me to let of steam so maybe someone could be so kind as to enlighten me on why the thread was moved

Zapa.

Because it is more appropriately categorised as feedback on AAM and, as such, belongs in this forum. On the other hand it's such a frivolous complaint that maybe it should have been moved to The Craic.

Rainyday,

You seem to have taken my post far more seriously than I intended anyone to take it. I also think, IMHO, that your reply is more of a personal attack than a useful reply to my admittedly ill-thought out post. I could and should have thought more about my original post before posting it but I genuinely meant no offence to any Moderators/Administrators or anyone else involved with the running of AAM. I also did not intend to deliberately criticise AAM.

Just to clear up one point, I did not actually complain that my original query was moved.

Zapa.

RainyDay said:

- Posters who take, take, take from our community and provide very little input and yet complain about not getting responses to their queries. I did a quick review of the first 2 pages (50 posts) of your posting history, and I reckon I can see about 3-4 answers to questions in there. The rest of your posts are questions. Perhaps if you were to consider 'leading by example' and helping out others by answering more questions, you might find that your own posts get answered more speedily

- Posters who complain about not getting an answer just over 14 hours (most of which were the sleeping hours for most of our users) after posting a question, assuming that your complaint referred to this thread. Please be reasonable. This is a volunteer community. We don't have a 'service level agreement' as to how quickly you are likely to get a response. Is this really a burning issue for you that absolutely needs to get resolution today? If so, perhaps you need to direct your query elsewhere.

- People who fail to search for similar previous questions before asking their own question to avoid unnecessary duplicated work.

- People who complain about posts being moved given that the link to the original post STILL APPEARS in the original forum. So anyone who visits the original forum will still see the thread and can still get into the thread with a single click.

Regards - RainyDay

Zapatista said:
I also did not intend to deliberately criticise AAM.
Zapa, your post was IMHO dealt with quite robustly. I'm curious to know if that would put you off using AAM in the future.

Presumably the fact that Zapatista has posted again since others commented on his query is evidence that he has not been put off posting on AAM? I hope it's no breach of confidence to divulge that I had a brief PM discussion with Zapatista in relation to a separate moderation issue on this thread (not something I normally do but this was an exceptional case) in which he confirmed that he did not take any umbrage at my posts above and, in fact, said that he enjoys my robust posting style and that AAM needed contributors with strong views. Just in case people assumed that the only feedback that I or others in this category received was negative.

ClubMan said:
in fact, said that he enjoys my robust posting style and that AAM needed contributors with strong views. Just in case people assumed that the only feedback that I or others in this category received was negative.

That's great news........

Roy

ClubMan said:
Presumably the fact that Zapatista has posted again since others commented on his query is evidence that he has not been put off posting on AAM? I hope it's no breach of confidence to divulge that I had a brief PM discussion with Zapatista in relation to a separate moderation issue on this thread (not something I normally do but this was an exceptional case) in which he confirmed that he did not take any umbrage at my posts above and, in fact, said that he enjoys my robust posting style and that AAM needed contributors with strong views. Just in case people assumed that the only feedback that I or others in this category received was negative.

I would like to confirm that what Clubman has presumed in the above post is entirely accurate.

Zapa.

Back