ashington/navan road?

jb724

I moved up from Cork recently and am considering buying in Ashington off Navan road as there are a number of houses within my price range.

Any advice on the area would be appreciated.

Its close to where I work so traffic not really an issue.

Just want to know what neighbourhood is like etc

Dont live there myself but my aunt does since the estate was opened years ago. They are very happy there. I have been at family functions and met many neighbours and all very nice people. However I work with a guy who lives there and is selling his house at the moment because of problems related to youths hanging around a lane at the back of his house. They are hassling people and his kids etc. I guess it is something you should check out. When I bought my house I checked it out during day and night, weekdays and weekends. I also phoned the local police station and asked if any issues in the area. Hope that is useful.

Good luck

MFK

I bought a new house in Ashington when it was built (in 1985) and the one big downside was lack of soundproofing between the houses. I was in a semi-d, and could hear next door stirring their tea (I kid you not)! My neighbour on the other side had to explain to her dinner guests that the crying baby wasn't upstairs, but was actually in the house she was attached to!

Left the area in 1990, so can't comment on what the neighbourhood is like now, but you might like to check out noise if that's important to you.

Last edited:
My brother moved into Ashington with his girlfriend (now wife) about 5 years ago or so, and I also have a few friends living in the area. They are very happy there. From what I remember at the time it seemed good value, close to city centre,M50,phoenix park etc.

thanks for the advice guys....i'll take on board all the points made.

Hi, I live in Ashington on Abbey Drive and both myself and my husband are very happy there for nearly the last two years. I would certainly reccommend buying here.The location is excellent and it is quiet and peaceful at night.Yes there is a few houses for sale in the area at the moment and prices have come down a bit too.The bus service no 122 is very good too.

The bus service no 122 is very good too.
Except that they still use a lot of non wheelchair/buggy accessible buses on that route so those who need them might be forced to walk down the the Navan Road for another route (37, 38, 39, 70 etc.).

Well I think Ashington is a great place to live and the 122 bus route is excellent.

Well I think Ashington is a great place to live and the 122 bus route is excellent.

Obviously not excellent for everybody though?

Except that they still use a lot of non wheelchair/buggy accessible buses on that route so those who need them might be forced to walk down the the Navan Road for another route (37, 38, 39, 70 etc.).

Sure I wouldn't mind Clubman, I am and everybody else is entitled to their opinion.

I'm just pointing out a pertinent fact about the 122 bus service since it was mentioned above. I doubt that this alone would be a dealbreaker in most cases. Some of my family live in the general area (not Ashington but close by) and it generally seems fine to me.