Asbestos removal - Garden shed

A

Aldini98

I have a small garden shed that has an asbestos roof that I need removed as I'm going to knock the shed down, anybody know of any reliable people in this business. I was just quoted 1200 Euro which I thought was a tad high.

Contractors must be licensed to remove asbestos, and most of these are listed in the Golden Pages under Asbestos - Surveying and Removal. A C1 cert is required to transport asbestos, so make sure whoever you get obtains one.
Leo

You should be aware that the hard white asbestos is NOT dangerous! It's the blue fibrous stuff that you have to look out for.

If you check with your local authority, they should be able to confirm this for you.

Recent articles in the press here in England have highlighted this difference.

The problem with asbestos is inhaling the fibres; blue asbestos is fibrous; white asbestos is not.

As suggested in the earlier post, check with the local authority to see what regulations they apply.

Was looking into this and took it from the advice here that you still need to be carefull with the cement bonded stuff

5B) Cement bonded (white) asbestos does not present a significant health risk
provided it is handled correctly, and you do not need to employ a licensed contractor
to remove and dispose of it. Cement bonded asbestos sheeting is commonly found
as grey corrugated or flat sheets, for example in garage or shed roofs. It is thin and
brittle and contains a small amount of asbestos encapsulated within cement.
Asbestos fibres are released when the cement sheeting is broken or drilled, sawn,
scrubbed or sanded.
Therefore, to reduce the risk to yourself when handling and disposing of bonded
asbestos, the sheets should be KEPT WHOLE and NOT broken, cut or sawn,
Wiltshire County Council, Asbestos_advice_aug05 3
etc. If this is not possible, breaking is the preferred option - avoid the use of power
tools at all times. Dampen the asbestos first and then double bag or wrap tightly in
plastic, as this prevents further release of dust. Wear safety equipment suitable for
use with asbestos, such as a disposable masks, overalls and gloves. Protective
clothing and cleaning equipment should also be treated as asbestos waste on
completion of the task and disposed of accordingly. Never use a vacuum cleaner to
clear up asbestos waste.

Aldini 98, I worked with an asbestos removal company for some time and on larger commercial scale projects the removal and disposal process cost roughly between 35 and 40 euro per m2. In a domestic situation like your own its a slightly different scenario. This type of job would usually take about 3 men ( i,m presumming a typical gardenshed here ), the company will take the view that this is the only job they will do for the day, so take 3 men by 9 hrs by say 30 euro per hour and the labour cost is €810, asbestos costs any where between 400 to 500 euro per ton to dispose of, in every 1m2 of asbestos there is 15.65 kg weight so therefore you can afford to get rid of 1 ton of asbestos or 63 m2 of it, i'm sure your garage roof doesn't exceed that, its probably no more than 15 - 20 m2 and on that basis there is only 300kg in weight , that is the truth of the matter. Domestic projects always seem to be high though,

On the other hand have you asked your local county council do they accept it in there landfills, sometimes the do.

One other thing to remember is why are you removing the sheeting, in its current position if it is not friable ( loose, flaky, falling apart etc ) then it is in good condition and posses no health risk whatsoever as the asbestos fibres are bound together in the cement base of the product.

what danger does the asbestos slates that were put on houses in the 1930s pose when removing them? and how can one find out that they have asbestos in them. We used to use the water that came off the roof(washing etc) before we were connected to the water scheme as did many others and thankfully I have never heard of anyone getting sick because of it. Just the same I would not like to use it now