As a power of attorney am I responsible for debts

monnigblower

Hello,

I'm a designated power of attorney for my father. Does that mean I'll be liable for his debts if any occur (e.g. nursing care, property tax, etc)? The background is that recently my father filled out an enduring POA and my brother and I jointly act as attorneys. My brother who scares me really does mount up the care bills for my parents at the moment. I feel nervous it will get worse when my father's enduring POA is in force and the money will probably run out. I'm now wondering if a stage is reached where the bills exceed the available cash will I be liable? If that is the case I'd feel like getting out of this fast before I'm pressurised to agree to things that end up sending me into very serious debt.

-M

The POA doesn't make you liable for your father's costs, it gives you responsibility for his care, financial decisions etc. to make the decisions that he would make if her were able and to fulfil those.
It doesn't change anything as regards whatever resources your father / family have available for his care, it sounds like this is something that needs to be considered though and a plan put in place if resources are limited as your post suggests. The POA when it is enforced will help you in that you can execute certain decisions, but it doesn't make you personally liable for costs. Hope I've written all that in a way that makes sense - 3am insomnia !