Artificial grass on decking ?

tommyphelan

I have a large decking area in my back garden and patio. I was looking into replacing the decking and putting grass back in,m but it looks costly so i was thinking of putting aritificial grass onto the decking. Has anyone done this ?

Unless by artificial you mean plastic I wouldn't really recommend it, to be honest even if it was plastic I still wouldn't recommend it!! You would create a very hot, humid environment underneath the grass which eventually would cause the decking to rot, causing it to collapse (we have decking out our back which was untreated and is now totally rotten underneath). Might be a bit of extra work but I'd recommend taking the decking up and putting down topsoil and laying the grass on that. I'm now planning on ripping out all our decking and putting in paving instead.

Dear God, have we become so far removed from the natural world that we would even consider using artificial grass to replace a lawn? What would you then do? paint it green every few years?
What is wrong with putting down a waterproof layer to protect your decking or remove it altogether and place soil on the area to be planted and put in a nice natural lawn with lots of wildflowers. You will have far more wildflowers if you use sub soil that is low in nutrients. You might then even have the pleasure of seeing birds and butterflies in you back garden. Please dont fall in to the trap of spraying the lawn to kill everything nice in it such as moss, daisies and dandelions. After a few years you will have cowslips and lots other nice wildflowers. And the wildlife in your area will thank you, that is if there is anything left by the time your neighbours have concreted and tarmacadamd everything else. You could of course also put in plastic flowers and a gnome or two!!