Artane / Mask Road

newirishman

Hi,
I am looking to buy a place in Artane / Mask Road, close to Malahide Rd.
As I have "enough" trouble with anti social behaviour in the area I live know (near Monkstown Farm in Monkstown / w graffity, bins stolen, letterbox demolished, noisy nights etc) I was wondering if anyone can share his opinion - also regarding access to creches and primary schools.
I have driven around the place a little bit and it looks nice enough, and also ideal from a transportat persepctive with loads of busses and dart close.
Any help are much appreciated.

Thanks

I have a lot of relatives in Artane and know the area very well. In general terms Artane is a very quiet suburb and has got increaaingly quiet in recent years due to demographics and house prices. The demographic is quite old and, with house prices in the area increasing way above the national average during past 10 years, most of the houses in the area are out of the reach of the average FTB. Most new residents are professionals & trader uppers. Like most mature areas in Dublin, it is mainly owner occupiers rather than renters. Crime rate is low and anti-social behaviour non-existant. Artane is so quiet at night, that some new residents actually struggle to come to terms with it.

Mask Road is on the edge of Artane. The Mask Road area is old 1950s council houses, most of which have been in private ownership for decades. They are small, but solidly built. It boarders on Harmonstown, the Brookwood part of Artane and St. Brendans part of Coolock village. In general terms, this part of Artane is not as quiet as that to the north of the Malahide Road (off Kilmore, Ardlea roads), but is still quiet. The further into Harmonstown you go, the less quiet you get mainly due to Harmonstown being ex-council housing and generally smaller cheaper houses than those in Artane which are generally typically suburban Dublin developments built between 1930s & 1970s.

The area has some good schools. St. Brigids Primary School - few hundred yards from Mask, has a great reputation and feeds in the Holy Faith school which is very high up on the school league tables. For boys, I would recommend St. Davids Primary School - the Harmonstown schools may be nearer to you, but Davids has a better reputation. St. David CBS has a mixed reputation, St Pauls in Raheny would be a better choice for secondary for boys - both are within walking distance of Mask. There are a number of creches in the area catering for preschool including some montesorri.

One thing you may consider is spending a little more money, if you can afford, and moving to one of the estates just on the other side of the Malahide Road. With the housing market being more competitive, you may be able to buy for less than asking price. You can almost 100% guarantee an absence of the type of behaviour you are trying to escape in this part of Artane. However, if you cant, Mask is still quieter than most places.

Csirl,

Thanks a lot for your quick and - indeed - comprehensive answer. Much appreciated!
I have taken a look on what's on the other side of Malahide road as well but my issue with it is mainly that it is getting more and more away from the dart; and with me working in Blackrock the dart is the best to get there.
Thanks again.

Back