art weekend?

Marcecie

looking for a art weekend in West Of ireland tried a google and yahoo search but only found Clare/waterford, this would involve been taught how to paint correctly

Hmmmm! When I was involved in teaching painting summer-schools in Ireland myself and my co-teacher (who was then Artist in Residence in the National Portrait Gallery in London) did a month in early September, after most of the tourists had gone home preparatory to the start of the new school term (we have a 3-term school and college year here, very different to your semesters in the USA). The big thing about the western seaboard is to work outside from nature, which is very spectacular.

It is unlikely you will find any fine art (sculpture, painting or drawing) workshops/weekends this close to Christmas, given the vagaries of the weather etc. (it was -4 here in Essex UK last night!)

However..........as an artist and past teacher I always feel people underestimate their own innate talents and perceptions and if you want to get some very special, personal, memories of your visit to Ireland get yourself a good-quality water-colour block, a couple of tin boxes of watercolour paints and 6 graded 'H' pencils (most usefully HB, H2, H3, H4, H5, H6) and get yourself a spot on some cliff-top out of the wind so you won't be blown out to sea.........then let what happens happen, and let us know how you get on!

Gearys hotel in Pontoon, County Mayo has a beautiful setting, and I seem to recall that they do art classes from time to time.

I went to one of these courses during the summer - they are very well organised. The 2006 schedule isn't up yet, but i'm sure if you contact them they will give you an idea of what's coming up.

[broken link removed]

Marie, looking for recommendations

Marie could you tell me specifically what make of water colour blocks and tins of water colour paint you would recommend? And what make of watercolour paper?Tell like dabbling a bit and just am at sea as to what to buy.

Also, should I go for an easel-table top of full length? I`d like to do some watercolours. Not quite ready for the en plein air experience though. And yet I`m not too keen to pick up one of those DVDs or books that go through a step by step approach on a specific picture.

Sorry for hijacking post Marcecie! Good luck with your course.

Back