Argentinian Peso

Newbie!

Anyone who has gone to Argentina, can you tell me where you ordered pesos from? Went to AIB this evening and they apparently dont stock them. Do any other banks or would I have to go to Thomas Cooks?

Why not just load some cash into your credit card and withdraw it from an ATM on arrival? Convenient and probably one of the cheapest ways to get foreign currency (often no transaction charge and just a forex margin of c. 1.75%).

TO the best of my knowledge you can only get Argentinean Peso’s in the country’s that boarder Argentina, I spent a lot of time there a few years back and upon leaving had a few hundred euro worth of Peso’s which I was unable to change (eventually gave them to a relative who was going over)
This may have changed in the last 2 years as the Peso has stabilised

What I would recommend is to bring USD with you, a lot of hotels etc accept USD and you’ll be in a nice bargaining position given the strength of the euro v’s USD.

You could try Thomas Cook (just off College Green if you live in Dublin) as they seem to pride themselves on stocking most worldwide currencies.

Why not just load some cash into your credit card and withdraw it from an ATM on arrival? Convenient and probably one of the cheapest ways to get foreign currency (often no transaction charge and just a forex margin of c. 1.75%).

I had always thought that this was an expensive way of withdrawing money. Will do this so. Also the advice on US dollars is definitely worth doing. Thank you for the advice.

I had always thought that this was an expensive way of withdrawing money. Will do this so. Also the advice on US dollars is definitely worth doing. Thank you for the advice.
Check your card terms & conditions/charge and www.itsyourmoney.ie CC cost surveys. Cash advances on a CC are normally expensive as they usually incur transaction charges and interest immediately (with some exceptions). However cash withdrawals where the CC account has been preloaded with cash generally do not and usually the only charge is the built in forex margin. However you also need to be aware of the potential security issues - e.g. some card providers may not insure cash balances if the card is stolen or used fraudulently. There are lots of existing threads on this issue and the pros and cons of this approach to accessing cash abroad versus other options.

Take euros with you and avoid the cost of buying dollars. Euros are as accepted as dollars in Argentina.

When I went to Brazil recently, the bank advised me not to take euros, as I would not get a decent exchange rate, they advised taking dollars. Get your granny, or someone over 65 to get dollars from AIB with no commission fee.
My advice would be to take about $500 US in small notes & store it in a safe place, only use it in an emergency, then top up your credit card and use that & dripfeed it (as mentioned above). Also try bringing a 2nd credit card with you, if you can get someone close to you to get a 2nd card on their a/c.

When you get there, try & avoid banks which charge a withdrawal fee. I found HSBC v. good, and no fee. And find out daily withdrawal limits & closing times, if any. (eg. in Brazil most ATMs shut down from 10pm to about 6am for security reasons)

In Buenos Aires you don't usually get a better rate for dollars than for euros. At the moment it's about 4.59 to the euro in most casas de cambio/banks. ATMs are open 24 hrs and I've never had problems withdrawing cash with either my Visa or Pass/Cirrus card.If you are depending on plastic I'd recommend getting an American Express card too. If your Visa card is lost or stolen you have to wait till you get home to have it replaced. With AmEx you can get a replacement within 24 hours from their office in Buenos Aires.

I'd bring along a 2nd credit card in case the first one got damaged, lost or stolen. No other reason.

Back