argentina for 6wks

oilpainting

Hi im going to argentina for 6weeks from july 28th,we are flying into buenos aires,and taking it from there aparently we cant go down to patagonia as its too cold,anyone any advice on this trip,highlights and hot spots,thanks x

Iguazu falls 3 days - well worth it , at least 5 days in Beunos aires
lovely city . i went on then to Rio so cant give any more advice on argentina

Iguassu, well worth the trip. See it also from the Brazilian side.

Barioloche in southern Argentina,a lovely skiing town in winter with great chocolate factories. I don't think it's quite as far down as Patagonia though it may be on the cool side.....check it out as it's a really beautiful area.

In BA: Visit La Boca the colourful home to Boca Juniors. Recoletta where Eva Peron is buried. San Telma which has wonderful markets.

Take a day trip across the river to Uruguay to an ancient village called Colonia del Sacramento.

Visit a ranch. It's very interesting to go out in the countryside & see the gauchos in action as well as having a great BBQ. We went to Estancia Susanna & had a great day.

Go shopping for leather goods .....they have to do something with all the hides !

You'll have a great time. Enjoy.

thats great,thanks guys we are now thinking of changing the dates as we are worried about the weather in august? we are thinking of going in oct-dec. anyone know what its like in august we were told aug last year it was 11 degrees but a bit humid aswel-we are worried the weather will drag the experience down a bit if its not really nice and sunny???

any ideas anyone?

thanks for that perplexed-great weather chart there,flying out 27th oct back 8th dec... i think the weather will be perfect not too hot not too cold,25 degrees there and around....found lots of links to great places here is my itinerary if anyone wants a future reference to touring Argentina....

- Buenos Aires
- Penninsula Valdes (whale watching)
- Ushuaia/Tierra del Fuego (End of the earth- Patagonia)
- Mendoza- wine regions and ranch
- Salta- Traditional mountain towns, supposedly beautiful
- From Salta to San Pedron de Atacama or Calama in Chile for the Atacama Dessert (If we want to or can splash out possibly staying in www.tierraatacama.com Adventure Spa)
- Iguazu Falls
- Back to Buenos Aires
- Ferry from Buenos Aires to Montevideo Uruguay and from Montevideo to Puta del Este and onto Punto del Diablo taking in small beach beach towns along the way
- Back to Buenos Aires before we leave

Fantastic itinary , I did a similar trip in Nov 2005, weather was very comfortable. Rosario and Cordoba are well worth a visit on way to Mendoza , they are more interesting cities , but the mountains west of Mendoza are spectacular . For me Salta was the best , coloured canyons , indian sites , mission churches, less European influence.
I did this part by bus ( great if you get the front windows ) and scenery was interesting but distances long . I then went to Iguazu via Assencion ( it felt dangerous at night!) . I also went from BA to Puerto Madryn ( near Valdez) by bus , but you get very fed up looking at Patagonia so I flew to El Califate (glacier) and Bariloche ( Switzerland with Sunshine) , both of which are excellent.
Colonia and Montevideo are well worth a visit.
I stayed at the pink hotel overlooking Iguazu falls on a different trip , if you want to splash out on a romantic night or two , then this is it .
pjq

hi thanks for all the advice -really helpful.... we booked today for 27th oct-for 7 weeks at a cost of 950 all inc which was good.....

our main problem now is that we are trying to sort out our in land flights,any advice on how to get from Ushuaia back up to mendoza,it seems all the inland flights have to go back to buenos aires

but its a pretty long stretch to have to get the bus back up-also is El Califate (glacier) and Bariloche ( Switzerland with Sunshine) , both of which are excellent. -are they really worth seeing if you have seen ushuaia as well?just thinking of how long we want to spend down south in the colder weather....

how many days do you think is enough site seeing in patagonia-eg ushuaia...xx

All the south of Argentina is served by an Airline called LADE.So if you want to travel from Usuaiha to El Calafate or any of the towns in the south then check them out first. They are cheap and cheerful.

El Calafate is good, just the Glacier, it is worth seeing but if you are caught for time then skip it. If you do go there then schedule in a trip to El Chanten to see Mt. Fitz Roy. Possibly the most beautiful mountain scenary in the world. (Do the 8 hr hike, it's unbelievable, and not tough).

Bariloche is beautiful, but nothing you wouldn't see in France or Switzerland. Most people go to Usuahia to say they've "been to the end of the world". I liked the place. It's very beautiful. The National Park is a must.

I'd give Usuahia 2/3 full days, El Calafate/Chanten 3/4 days (Go to Fitz Roy), Bariloche 3/4 (maybe).

All flights between north and south Argentina go through BA and you will mostly have to spend the night in BA. Book the internal flights when you are there. LADE, LAN and Aerolinas Argentina are the choices.

The mountain towns above Salta are really beautiful. Spend a few days exploring them. The Guinness Domino Advert features one of them. Tilcara was my favourite.

Actually, most importantly.... If you are going to Montevideo, fly back to BA with Aerolinas Argentinas. Keep the reference numbers and then every internal flight with them will be about 60% of the cost if you quote your booking reference for the flight. This is the price for locals and people who flu into the country with them. The flight from Montevideo will be about 100euro but could save you hundreds, if you change your itinary to do it first. You don't even have to take the Montevideo to BA flight, just by booking and paying for it you will have the reference number you need.

Consider doing the north first then the south as the north will very hot in early nov and probably unbearable by the end of nov, whereas the south will be getting warmer the later you leave it.

Hope this all helps a bit.
Jimmy

There are flights El Califate to Bariloche and Bariloche to Cordoba , this is through the centre of the country with Aero Arg. , I remember paying +-€100- per flight in 2005 buying the ticket a day in advance.
Bariloche is warm in Nov , like our may/june weather and does not have the Patagonia wind
If time is short, Peninsula Valdez would be on my list of possible skips , cool windy barren , rented a car to see seals , penguins etc , BUT I missed the whales !! In addition the 17hr bus from BA had left me feeling that I had seen enough undulating empty scrub land . On the other hand a whale experience might have made all the difference.
With whom did you book the €940- flight?
pjq

Regarding Uruguay, I spent the guts of 6 months in Argentina & made a few short hops into Chile & Uruguay, must say I found Montevideo to be worth skipping, especially after coming from BA it will feel like a let down, colonia del sacramento and punto del diable are fantastic spots, punte del este is more so a tourist beach spot

Back