ARF

S

SANFORD

62 retirement coming up could I sell some property to invest in an approved retirement fund to give me a stable retirement income, how could this work

ARF investment

Hi Sanford,

Money being invested into an ARF must come from an approved pension policy/scheme. This therefore means that you cannot invest the proceeds of a property sale directly into an ARF.

To be able to invest in an ARF in the first place you must be self employed; a 5% director of a limited company; or as an employee with schedule E earnings have an amount invested in an AVC pension arrangement.

It may be possible however to sell a property and invest some or all of the sale proceeds into a pension policy (subject to meeting normal revenue requirements depending on your circumstances) and then maturing the pension policy and putting the proceeds into an ARF.

As always you need to seek independent financial advise to ensure that whatever you do is firstly legal, secondly within revenue regulations and thirdly the best option for your own personal circumstances.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Back