ARF Rules

Shelby219

When it comes to setting up an ARF ,do you have to use one provider? Could you have for example have money invested with, Zurich, and Irish Life, or invested in other funds?

Or you can have a QFM with access to the whole market, have more investment choice, greater transparency of your fees etc

Or you can have a QFM with access to the whole market, have more investment choice, greater transparency of your fees etc
So even if I just wanted to invest my ARF in say Zurich Life funds ,it would be more cost effective to do it through an independent QFM?

No. Zurich funds are only available from Zurich (unless they are one of the externally managed options)

The important point is that Zurich (or any other insurance company) are not required to disclose their true fees for pension contracts.
You may be told you are only paying say 1% but the reality is very different.

You should compare the features and benefits of an open market ARF with an insurance company contract, but doing so is almost impossible when it comes to cost.

It could be that a Zurich contact is the best option for you, but how do you know if you don’t compare it with anything.

In my experience over the last 25 years advising in this area, one of the biggest mistakes made by people approaching retirement is to tick a box on the form sent to them by their current pension provider and send it back.

This is often because they are too busy spending hours comparing different flat screen televisions.

The pension fund is worth tens, if not hundreds of thousands of Euro but many of us put more time into selecting a fridge!!

Last edited:
Back