ARF and Pension/Retirement Income Query

lmd

Apologies if these are stupid questions or impossible to answer with the information provided.

I have tried my best to figure this out many times but just can't seem to grasp it - I think my husband can access his ARF anytime but obviously will be taxed at higher rate. Trying to figure eg from when we are both receiving State pension and UK pension how much of the ARF would qualify as tax free in these years? Would any of it be tax free? Is our retirement pot enough for us or is it very low?

We are currently thinking of moving house and new location would be more expensive and may need an extra on mortgage if we went ahead with a move. Mortgage would be circa 2600 per month variable for 12 years around 3.85. That amount is fine now but what about in six years time?

Personal details

Your age: 52
Your spouse's age: 58

Number and age of children: 3 children all aged 12

Income and expenditure
Annual gross income from employment or profession: 37,000

Annual gross income of spouse/partner: 74,000

Monthly take-home pay: 7089 (2 incapacited child credits which will cease in September 2028).

Type of employment - Employee both
Employer type: private company both

In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or
(b) saving?

Not saving but always getting by comfortably with holidays etc. Just finished paying off home loan which was 800 per month for the past 7 years so possibly can save this.

Summary of Assets and Liabilities
Family home value: 675000
Mortgage on family home: 245000
Net equity: 430000

Defined Contribution pension fund:
Spouse ARF current value 202,000 (25% tax free lump sums have been withdrawn).

Family home mortgage information
Lender BOI (previously KBC)
Interest rate
Type of interest rate: tracker
If tracker, what is the margin e.g. ECB + 1%
current rate is 4.85 (I can't find what the margin is on any paperwork possibly+.85).

Remaining term: 12 years
Monthly repayment: 2227.26

No loans and clear credit cards monthly

Pension information

Value of pension fund:
Current employer 26, 425 (projected age 65 92,173)

Other information which might be relevant

ARF
Spouse ARF current value 202,000 (25% tax free lump sum has been withdrawn).

Both entitled to UK pensions currently going through process to buy back gap years. No clue what final figures will be.

Money taken from the ARF is treated the same as any other PAYE income. Some of your tax credits and standard rate cut off will be allocated to your state pensions, and anything left over can be allocated to the ARF withdrawal.

Last edited:
Money taken from the ARF is treated the same as any other PAYE income. Some of your tax credits and standard rate cut off will be allocated to your state pensions, and anything left over can be allocated to the ARF withdrawal.
Thanks Fortune. I know that but I'm wondering what the threshold will be ie what is the figure we start paying tax I'm wondering will we be over whatever the threshold is just with our pensions if that makes sense.

Thanks Fortune. I know that but I'm wondering what the threshold will be ie what is the figure we start paying tax I'm wondering will we be over whatever the threshold is just with our pensions if that makes sense.
It depends on how much your pensions are and what the thresholds at the time are. I would expect that the pensions will use up most or all of it.

Reactions: lmd
Assuming that both of you would have personal and employee tax credits and age tax credits, your total tax credits would be 7990 euro.

You could earn 39950 euro before having any tax deducted from your earnings.

Assuming that both of you would have personal and employee tax credits and age tax credits, your total tax credits would be 7990 euro.

You could earn 39950 euro before having any tax deducted from your earnings.
Thanks S Class that's what I wanted to know.

Thanks S Class that's what I wanted to know.
Would everything over the 39950 be taxable at the higher rate of tax? My query then is whether there is any benefit in leaving the ARF there if we are going to be taxed on it anyway due to our pensions because we have mortgage payments of c 2500 per month which will run until my husband is 70 in 12 years. Would there be a benefit to taking the ARF now to pay off some of the mortgage with it? Thanks for any info at all.

No, you would still have your 20,% tax band. This could be anything from 51000 euro up to 84000 euro depending on how much earnings you both individually have.

So you would have considerable extra capacity for earnings at 20% tax.

No, you would still have your 20,% tax band. This could be anything from 51000 euro up to 84000 euro depending on how much earnings you both individually have.

So you would have considerable extra capacity for earnings at 20% tax.
Thanks that's great.

Back