areas to avoid in limerick city centre

hema1

people say horrible stories on this city, i am moving into this with family and a toddler
any one can help me to understand this area, want to avoid renting in bad areas in Limerick city centre, which areas i should avoid. please tell me street names.
also what are good areas to rent?

thanks for help

Ignore all stories about Limerick, it's a great city, a young, vibrant student city. Most of the "trouble" stems from 2 waring families, other than that it has the same if not less crime that any other city in this country. I'm from Limerick, never seen any trouble. My family still lives there.

Regarding where to live, the following areas are great:-

Out the ennis Road direction (north)
North Circular Road (expensive)
Clareview (close to NCR - good area)
Greystones (adjoining Clareview)
Lansdowne / Farranshone (all close to above)

All above about 20 mins walk to city centre

Castletroy (situated on the way in the Dublin road) - close to the main university - good area, quite built up over the past few years though. Alot of students.

City centre - South Circular Road, alot of recent development - very nice area, walking distance to centre.

Any of the above, my preference would be out the ennis road, NCR to your left - Greystones / clareview to your right.

Best of luck with your move, I'm sure you'll make it a lovely home.

Kitten

Agreed, lived in Limerick for years (not a native) and never had a complaint. Every city has it's share of troublemakers. I lived in Castletroy and found it great

I have to agree. Again, I'm a non native who is now living in Kildare but I lived in Limerick for years and really loved the city. Like any city it has its rough spots but is generally no different aside from some feuding families which blows the negative perception all out of proportion. Best of luck.

have to agree with all of the above, im living here for the past 2 years and have seen no touble at all, i love it here, i to was abit aprehensive about moving here but moved here for work related reasons, if you stay clear of Moyross, Southhill and a few more areas you will be ok, they are on the outskirts so you should have no reason to go there anyway, im sure there are alot of nice people there too but its just a small number that give these places a bad name, good luck in your move, you will be fine

Have been living here for three years and its agreat place.
Dooradoyle/Raheen/CastleTroy should be fine areas to rent

I've been here 14 years now and agree with all the above.

The media have a lot to answer for, IMHO — a lot of those so-called criminals are just ordinary folks trying to feed their families... ;)

Another Limerick resident here!

living in south circular road at the moment(renting) and moving to castletroy shortly.

Never had any problems at all. As others have said there's certain places to avoid but there's no reason to go into them anyway. I've lived in shannon/limerick for 27 years and never had any reason to go into the "problem" areas.

hema1, when you're at the stage of looking at specific properties post the area up here and i'm sure people will be happy to say yay or nay. pm me if you want

Sweet This post will be deleted if not edited immediately, 7 positive posts in a row - I'm welling up.
Has the tide turned?
Absolutely delighted to see this, it's made my day.

As others have said there's certain places to avoid but there's no reason to go into them anyway. I've lived in shannon/limerick for 27 years and never had any reason to go into the "problem" areas.

8 posts and not a one actually saying where these rough areas are. Every town has it's good and bad areas, we all know that, there's no need for every Limerick native to get defensive on the issue. The OP is going to Limerick to rent and may not have a huge choice in location or cost and simply wants to know which areas to avoid. This happy clappy brigade isn't really answering her question. I don't think she'll be too impressed with the advise if she ends up living beside some gangster cos everyone here told her the area was alright.

I may be stating the bleeding obvious, but make sure to look at the place you are renting in first. First impressions of areas are usually right. Limerick is a good city for living in, easy access to the beaches in Kerry and Clare, lots of ryanair flights from Shannon, and some great walks along the Shannon. Traffic there is a nightmare though. I live in Dublin, and have worked in limerick recently,and my moring commute, 8km, was usually faster in Dublin ( have to cross river in Limerick, not so in Dublin!).

"8 posts and not a one actually saying where these rough areas are. Every town has it's good and bad areas, we all know that, there's no need for every Limerick native to get defensive on the issue. The OP is going to Limerick to rent and may not have a huge choice in location or cost and simply wants to know which areas to avoid. This happy clappy brigade isn't really answering her question. I don't think she'll be too impressed with the advise if she ends up living beside some gangster cos everyone here told her the area was alright"

What a crock! There have been numerous good areas listed so if the OP sticks with those they are not going to end up in any of the dodgy areas (some which in fact were mentioned by Olly64). Remember all dodgy areas have decent people living in them too so it's not very nice if due to circumstance you end up in one and you see them dragged through the mire on every post about that particular city. I think the posters (or in your kind words, the happy clappy brigade) have used good discression and have absolutely pointed the op in the right direction.

areas to avoid in limerick would be anything between the atlantic and tipperary - otherwise your fine;)

I spent a decade + in the city. I agree with Olly 64. Moyross (Ballynanty Beg beside it) and Southill are best left to themselves. This is shocking but true - the Mayorstone Garda station was originally Mr Keane's sweet shop. Poor Mr Keane died (a really nice man, by the way) and the station opened but you had to get mugged between 9 am and 6 pm. It was eventually closed due to 'lack of business' and a bigger one (aka Mayorstone Garda Station) was opened up the hill beside Thomond Park. It's a LOT closer to Moyross and doing a LOT more business.

Corbally, Rhebogue and the areas on and around Ballysimon Rd are also good. Where in Limerick will you be working? Let us know that and I'm sure you'll get more specific recommendations.

Avoid Moyross, Ballananty, Kileelee, Southills, King's (The Island) - St Mary's Park and Garryowen.

The good news about living in Limerick is that it is possible to rent a 4 bed detached house in a nice area for about €800 - 900pm.

Agree, lovely. Riverside walks out to Plassy/University of Limerick. 10 minute walk to town and near shopping cenres at the Parkway.Reasonable house prices too.

as with any city there are good and bad areas - have some friends who live in Clareview and it is a good area

Well I would say the worst places are The Kings Island , Thomand Gate , Moyross Kilelly Prospect Southill Weston Caherdavin Ballananty and garryowen They would kind of be the places to avoid

Well I would say the worst places are The Kings Island , Thomand Gate , Moyross Kilelly Prospect Southill Weston Caherdavin Ballananty and garryowen They would kind of be the places to avoid

Seriously? Over ten years later?

Back