Are You Personally Liable For Commercial Rates If You Cease Trading?

Wishes

Are you personally liable for commercial rates arrears if you cease trading on a commercial premises?

I'm not sure of the law and poerhaps others could clarify this.
Rates go with the nature of the premises, which attracts a ratable valuation.
However Rates are levied on businesses which are going commercial enterprises.

If you have ceased trading this is not the case any more, but you may still owe the arrears.
Arrears seem to be carried over to the next occupier who inherits the arrears, as posted in several threads here on AAM.
If you're in distress, you could talk to your local rates officer, but take advice from other business and legal people before hand.

ONQ.

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

It would depend on whether you own or are leasing the premises. If you are leasing the premises and have vacated it (legally i.e. surrendered your lease) the rates then go back to the landlord and it is the landlord's responsibility to get rates paid from you up to the date you vacated the property.

If you own the premises and have ceased trading (I am not sure) but I would imagine it is up to you to get in contact with the Rates Manager and let him know that you have ceased trading.

You should also consider checking in to whether the property qualifies for vacancy relief as a result of ceasing to trade.

This will not reduce the arrears but may reduce the annual charge going forward under certain circumstances.

If you are looking to purchase your own commercial premises then do look for all the legal procedures involved in it so as to avoid problems in the future. So, make a through search about the legalities involved and buy the premises.