Are you a 'social partner' ?

zag

Anyone else annoyed with the way de mejia keep referring to the "social partners" who are meeting at the moment.

I'm not sure who is representing me - like a lot of people in this country I am not an employer and I am not a union member.

z

Most employers are not members of IBEC.
I am not a social partner either. I am too busy paying for the decisions they make to get involved.
I think I may have mentioned before on AAM that I am not a big fan of social(ist) partnership and the resulting institutionalisation of the main lobby groups in Ireland and the erosion of democracy that it brings.

I am a PAYE worker and not represented. I should also add that I don't want to be!

Does the government not speak for those of us with no voice?

"Does the government not speak for those of us with no voice?"

Umm, no.

Well yes, but no, but yes, but no, well kinda, but not really.

If they did then we wouldn't have the unions and ibec in there fighting their corner because we could rely on the government to just get it right.

z

Strange, I hadn't picked up on that...

If they did then we wouldn't have the unions and ibec in there fighting their corner because we could rely on the government to just get it right.
Shouldn't the government be keeping to itself , doing the minimum to keep the country running? Using the government to set the "correct" wage levels ,I would think, is a bad idea!

Shouldn't the government be keeping to itself , doing the minimum to keep the country running? Using the government to set the "correct" wage levels ,I would think, is a bad idea!

Well put.
My proposal is that the government should govern.

What we currently have is a system where a committee of vested interest groups and the government govern. I think this system is fundamentally undemocratic. We talk about the power of the lobby groups in America, they’d give their right arm for the system we have where we have institutionalised them, brought them in and given them a seat at the table.