are we still importing non nationals into our workforce

johnwilliams

are we still importing non nationals into our workforce ,coming over getting jobs for a short while, then going on our higher and better social welfare (then their own countries) and helping to drain the country's finances even quicker or have the irish government found a way to stop it .

Spoken like a true europhile .

John Williams, do you have a grudge against all 'non nationals' or just people from certain countries?!

Do we still have ignorant xenophobes in Ireland in 2009?

I'm a "non-national".

If I lose my job tomorrow are you suggesting that I:
sell my home (in the current market)
remove my children from school - including the one sitting Leaving Cert. next year.
take those same children away from the friends they've made and the groups they've joined.
resign from the Voluntary Organisation that I am active in
leave a vast majority of my friends
relocate the whole family to a country and start all over again?

or do you not think this country that has happily received my family and our higher earner rate of tax might just help out a bit til I get back on my feet?

EU citizens have a perfect right to work here, in the same way that we have a right to work in their countries. Employment permits are only granted to non EU citizens where there is a genuine need for a particular skill. The non EU citizens who are already here on work permits came at a time when Irish people refused to take certain low paid jobs and these foreign nationals filled a labour shortage, thereby keeping our economy going. Are you saying that we should now kick them out because Irish people need those jobs?

This has to be one of the most ignorant posts i've seen on this forum.

Not a very fair comment, John, IMHO. In my line of work I've come into contact with many foreign nationals and, with very few exceptions, I've found them to be very honest, hard working, decent and caring individuals. I refer to people from most EU countries, Africa and Eastern Europe. A few foreign nationals (East Europeans) did some work for me in my home some time ago. They did a fine job and my friends were delighted that I recommended them to do work in their houses. They certainly didn't come here to bleed the system.

You cannot ever fault people for trying to better themselves and their situations. Would you not agree that, if their countries were booming during our current recession, we Paddys would be the first off the plane in Warsaw or Riga or Vilnius?

Great to have you here, Bubbly, both in Ireland and on AAM!

Great to have you here, Bubbly, both in Ireland and on AAM!

Shucks, thanks

I'm actually Scottish and people here don't see me as "foreign", infact if I mention the fact I usually get something along the lines of "all celts together".

Ireland is a wonderful country that accepted us in every sense of the word. It is educating my children to the highest standard, giving them friends and helping me to raise them into fine young ladies. We work, pay taxes and I think we have settled well into our community. We try to give back what we can which admittedly is mostly in non monetary ways.

It's a wonderful country and while I don't think I'll ever learn the words to the national anthem, I can play it on the bagpipes.

The only time I ever feel torn in my loyalties is when Scotland play Ireland

It is a term used to refer to someone that is living in but not originally from ireland.

I think the correct term is "non Irish national" but I stand to be corrected.

What is a "non national?" ... afaik everyone has a nationality ...

The government agencies use it.
RTE use the term and so does most of the media.

Hardly surprising most of the public use the term non-national.
If you've got a problem with it then you'll have to complain a lot higher then an internet message board

Bubbly, any country that gave The Skids and Big Country to the world has to be one of the coolest places on earth!

I think the correct term is "non Irish national" but I stand to be corrected.

In the context of ireland it is non-national - therefore the 'irish' element is implied and therefore not mentioned.

Presmubaly other nations also use this term.