Are eircom my only option

KS1

I was a Smart telecom customer and after their problems I attempted to change to BT for phone and broadband use. I applied online on 03/10/2006 and having been continually given the runaround I was told today that the line needed to be registered with eircom and that the whole thing would take four weeks. I cancelled the order and contacted perlico who told me my only option now is to go with eircom. I currently cannot make or receive calls. Can anyone tell me if I have any other options apart from signing up with eircom.

Thanks

My mother was a Smart voice only customer and switched to UTV Talk + Clicksilver no hassle although she is still getting the "temporary service" announcement when dialing out. I heard that Smart customers who did not effect a transfer before November 2nd (?) may have to pay for reconnection!

You will have to go back to eircom to use the likes of BT, Perlico, UTV etc. AFAIK. Once you have an eircom account number you can use any of these resellers.

Note that eircom seem to be extremely reluctant to give you your account number and you may have to wait for your first bill to get a look at it........

Smart customers can to look up their UAN (Universal Account Number) on [broken link removed]. This number should be all that another provider needs to transfer you. However I have heard of at least one other person having problems transferring to BT with just this number - possibly a problem for those who had their number changed when signing up with Smart. My sister did it OK though but her number had never changed when she signed up with Smart (voice only).

Back