Are digital cameras from US same as EUROPE

GrahamP

Have seen a camera I have been chasing E200+ cheaper than Pixmania on ebay. Are digi cameras the same spec from the US, connections etc..
Has anyone bought a camera from the US through ebay and were you hit by customs?

Thanks

If the model number is exactly the same then the camera is almost certainly exactly the same. However check this very carefully, often only the main model number e.g. DH5600 is displayed, while the regional variations numbers are ignored e.g DH5600-K or DH5600-H. Amazon and Pixmania are usually quite good though. The only difference in the regional variations is usually the accessories included in the box.

Most cameras have a video output for connecting to TV and this may be an issue, usually you can select between NTSC for USA and PAL for most of Europe, Ireland included.

Amazon USA won't usually ship electronic items to Europe and if they do you will almost certainly get charged VAT and Duty by the post office on behalf of the revenue. They've gotten much more efficient at this recently.

I've bought cameras from Amazon.co.uk and Pixmania with no complaints on either.

If you are buying US, don't forget to pick up an adapter while the camera is in transit, they are dirt cheap... but still you don't want to have to go searching for one when the camera arrives - you know that when you actually need something simple like an adapter, you can never find one!

I have bought in states and the adapter was dual voltage so no problems but a friend brought it home for me - 30% cheaper.

I am aware of problems with goods bought in Hong Kong and ebay - personally I wouldn't go near them.

I have used (how do you do links, why not copy and paste ?) and they are very good.

I've bought stuff from Hong Kong via EBay a few times now without problems. A package was once intercepted by the Revenue, (due to it being sent to my work address I believe), but once I forwarded on the documentation and explained it was a private purchase and not for the company, they just sent it on without charge.

One thing I'd say though, as with other topics on this site, heed the advice that if the offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is. There's a lot of people on EBay making a lot of money out of selling junk!

Leo