Are Dell desktops cheaper?

babydays

Looking into getting my mother a new desktop and an add in weekend paper caught my eye. It advertised for approx E550.

When I went on-line I found that it didn't include speakers (add X amount), modem (add another amount), printer etc etc. When I went through the process it looked like it would cost minimum E722 and you're left feeling that you've chosen the worst option each time!

In the shops you seem to get a bundle - including speakers etc.

Is it better to shop from Dell or from a shop?!!

You might try their outlet store; if you find what you want and place your order before midnight tonight, they're offering a further €140 discount. Even if it doesn't include peripherals like speakers/printer, you'll probably find these can be picked up far cheaper elsewhere.

Edit: For example, this is priced at €425 without a monitor, -€140 discount would presumably bring it down to €285, and then you'd easliy get a nice monitor from somewhere like [broken link removed] for under the €200 mark.

Dr M - prices are still exceptional.

Going to wait 'til the man of the house is home tonight and see if we can sort it out before Dell turns into a pumpkin at midnight!!

Thanks a lot for the direct link to the C521.

Tks Petermack.

Check out timeuk.com
Delivery COST TO IRELAND I DONT KNOW

Dr M - prices are still exceptional.

Going to wait 'til the man of the house is home tonight and see if we can sort it out before Dell turns into a pumpkin at midnight!!

Thanks a lot for the direct link to the C521.

Tks Petermack.
Dont worry if you miss the deadline as they have offers all the time at the outlet dept.
You just need to check it every couple of days to see whats new and then usually about every 3 or 4 weeks they will start running a €xxx discount on all desktops/laptops

Bougt one!

Got the - Dimension C521 AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800 (2.40Ghz, 512K/

Because of the E140 disount got a 17" flat panel monitor for free!

Cost E562 BUT can you imagine I only get the FINAL price once the "order has been processed (typically within 3-4 days of submitting your order). This will include your Dell order number, customer number, purchase order number, final total price and estimated delivery date"

I find that so strange. Anyhow, looks like I got my Mum an excellent computer for a very good price!!

Tks for the advice!

Nice one. If it was for me, I'd have gone for slightly more processing power (PIV rather than AMD), but I reckon that that'll be more than adequate for your Mum's needs.

And don't mind that, given the nature of these things, you'll be able to buy better spec for the same money in six months' or a year's time — if you thought that way you'd never buy!

If you didn't get speakers with it, I'd pop around to your local PC World/Currys/Dixons, etc. — at this time of year, you'll probably find lots of 'manager's specials' at silly prices.

Back