Are Builders busy at the moment?

paulpd

A bit of a general question.....but what's the chances of getting a builder to start straightforward work in about 6 weeks time? New kitchen roof, rewire, and a bit of plastering.

Thanks!

I am sourcing contractors for a self build at the moment and they are all talking about the slowdown. As far as I can see, only the 'good' tradesmen/builders are busy relative to previous years.

Mentioned here before that a builder friend maintains that the smaller guys who do extensions etc. are booked up for up to two years at the moment whereas the ones on the sites for apartments and houses are the ones feeling the slowdown.

Mentioned here before that a builder friend maintains that the smaller guys who do extensions etc. are booked up for up to two years at the moment whereas the ones on the sites for apartments and houses are the ones feeling the slowdown.

I think that's a bit of an urban myth, but good contractors will always be in demand, 2 years lead time might be stretching it for many.

I doubt there is many with 2 years of work ahead of them especially in the smaller firms. There are loads of builders out there and at the moment many are feeling the pinch, so if you look for tenders and give them your timeframe you should find a few that will manage it for you. I wouldn't be expecting the work to be any cheaper than usual though because the price of a lot of building supplies has gone up recently.

Back