Are ACER Laptops any good?

Ned_ie

Brother is looking to buy one while he is in Italy and just wondering if they are any good.

It's a 256mb with modem, 40gbs hard disk, DVD rewrite. cost €600

any comments?

What processor does it use and does it have WiFi. I don't know if Acer sell into Ireland so tech support may be an issue. For that price you could get a similar spec laptop from dell.ie.

Using one right now (Aspire 5000 AMD64/XP Home/1Gb/100Gb). Fabulous machine ($800 at the pre-Xmas sales in the States). Great battery life.

Bought another laptop similiar to the spec you noted - Toshiba Satellite LS25 (CeleronM360/XP Home/256Mb/40Gb/PCMCIA for wireless (802.11b)) for $400. Again, pre-Xmas sales in the USA.

Any more new Acer users that can recommend an Aspire Laptop?

I'm hearing some negative things - but would like to hear more opinions.

Thanks

I have an Acer Aspire 5672. Great machine. The only quibble I have is that I'd like the screen to be a smidgin brighter.

I'm using my acer travelmate right now - got it a couple of months ago in Flor Griffin - delighted with it!

what's the warranty? is it collect and return through out Europe? They are an ok machine when working but their warranty is seriously lacking, say he buys a Dell or HP then depending on the warranty he gets he could have 3 yrs Next Business Day support anywhere in Europe, I think the Dell warranty upgrade is only about €50, well worht it in my opinion.

Collect and Return means he could be with out a machine for quite a bit of time if anythign goes wrong.

Hi

I previously had an Acer Desktop, was very happy with it.

Think it was an AMD chip, seem to recall some sort of alliance between the two companies though Im not technical, so could we very wrong here ?

I got a Aspire 5003WMLi AMD Turion 80GB HD with double memory 2x512 from laptopsdirect for about 600 Euros. It seems ok for my needs - no more software development for sure, it's the laptop of choice for the techies personal purchases in a friend's company which is reassuring.
They sell extended warranties if insurance is required.

Sorry DirtyH20 - do you mean its good for Software Development or you would not recommend programming on it?

Has anyone tried the latest games on an acer? Does perform ok?