Archos AV420 Anybody have one Need advise

IrishGunner

Hey

Right finally decided to get one of these looking for advise if anyone has one as checked their website but still a bit lost

--I have mp3 files saved in folders under the various artists on my PC. With this product can I just drag and drop the folder into the Archos and it will transfer them? Will I then have to sort them ?
--Does the Archos AV420 have a radio ? I saw the accessory FM radio and remote control. Do you have to buy this in order to get radio on it ?
--In relation to Batteries are they rechargeable ? If not do you have to buy the removable rechargeable battery ?
--I want to be able to play mp3's in my car. I saw there is a cassette link. I also saw an accessory that plugs into the cigarette lighter does this re-charge the battery ?
--I have some movies on my PC and I want to transfer them to the player and then play them on my TV. Is this possible and what do I require ?
--Is there an accessory available to link into power unit i.e Plug so I can save battery power

Sorry for all the questions I just want to be assured that it can do the things I require

Also best place to buy them ?

Cheers

I have the PMA430 - exactly the same as the AV420 but with built in WIFI and PDA stuff.

Yes - you can just drag and drop - there is a music folder and you can put all the subfolders inside that - they will appear like they would in Windows explorer.
No Radio - you have to buy the accessory.
AV420 has a removable rechargeable battery. Comes with one and you can buy a spare. Warning - the AV440 (40gig version) does not have a removeable battery - it's built in.
Yes, I have the cigarette lighter accessory - charges it in the car.
Movies - depends on what format they are in - the Archos plays Mpeg4 - DIVX, XVID etc. Can be finicky with certain conversions - but will always play proper DIVX or XVIDs. If your movies are these, yes you can transfer them to the player and output to your TV. I presume you know you can also record directly from a DVD player or a TV as well - it will record even commercial dvd's but the recording cannot be transferred elsewhere - only played on the player (or through to the tv).
It comes with an ordinary adaptor for using off the electricity.

You'll find a lot of info (and alternative power sources) at www.datamind.co.uk.

Cheapest I've seen the AV420 is Eur378 at www.pixmania.com.

Cheers thanks for that

Rang Archos in the UKL and asked them about Radio asking do I have to buy the accessory and they said no it comes with a radio??
Might go into Dixons etc to test it out and see if the teenager sales rep can help me, dont hold out much hope
So you can record on it but you cannot trf it ? So cant trf it to PC and burn onto a dvd ?

No you have to buy the radio accessory. If you think about it, what's the radio accessory for if it has a radio!

You can transfer any recordings to pc and burn - the only ones you can't are where you record protected content i.e a commercial dvd onto it. So you can transfer any tv recordings etc to pc to dvd.

podgerodge said:
No you have to buy the radio accessory. If you think about it, what's the radio accessory for if it has a radio!

Yeah makes sense thats what i thought. Might buy it first and then add on the accessories bit by bit

Can you get the accessories in Currys etc so I can try them out before purchasing

if you can they'll be a lot dearer than getting them on the net. Datamind seem to be good value for accessories.

podgerodge said:
if you can they'll be a lot dearer than getting them on the net. Datamind seem to be good value for accessories.

Yeah just to test them out at currys and make them think they are making a sale and then buy them on the net the cruel man I am.......

Cheers