appropriate wedding gift

jillyb

Hi

I am attending a wedding in two weeks (full meal) and its my first ever proper wedding.Its one of my close friends from school though we've not been very close since we left (4 years ago).

I've just finished college 3 weeks ago so i'm unemployed. but i don't want to be stingy when it comes to a gift.should i spend €100 or get a cheaper (but looks dear) gift?

My boyfriend is coming too but he's in the same boat as me (just out of college and unemplyed). He doesn't know the couple that well so i'm not expecting him to contribute to the gift.

Also we've booked expensive accomodation (no choice as they was nothing else available), got a dress and need spending money while there.

thanks

post would suggest friend is about 22 / 23 (fierce young for getting married these days!!)

Many people give cash as a gift, but that's because most marriages are at the 30 age group and they have most things they need.

A lot of sales are on now, with fairly decent reductions. For example, Bob & Kates in Clane have 30% off everything also Home Store & More stores always have decent discounts.

Still can't beat giving a gift that you know they'll use & like.

If finances are tight you could give a gift that has a lot of thought behind it as opposed to a lot of money behind it.
Like for example a nice photo of the happy couple framed with a bottle of wine and some candles?

In times of hardship Ive often found the Newbridge stuff to be good for wedding presents, you can buy nice classy homewares without it costing an arm and a leg.

Arnotts sale is starting on Thursday too they usually have about 20% off, if you're in Dublin. I certainly wouldn't feel you have to spend €100. You'll probably pick something nice up in the homewares dept for around €60/€70

i got a engagement present of 6 wine glasses in the Newbridge store in Blanch at the weekend, it was € 50 for 6 wine glasses in a impressive hat box style gift box

You have given a budget figure of €100 there, can you afford that? That should be the first consideration. Good chance that a large number of their friends are in the same boat as you so you aren't the only one buying a present on a budget.

No contest, get a cheaper but looks dear present.

There are excellent sales on, you should get a great gift for 60e or thereabouts.

I got married 2 years ago and the amount of glassware and silverware we received was unreal. They are still in boxs in the attic, never opened. We got a great gift of a coffee machine, really trendy looking (less than a €100) and everyone that comes into our home comments on it. Go for something like that..

I agree. We got some interesting and unusual presents which I loved and I'm sure didn't cost much. Newbridge have some lovely little bits and pieces which I'm sure would be appreciated. We also got some nice things like decorative boxes with a box of chocs inside, or fossils / precious stones which were originally one thing but got split in two . . .something timeless about it. Go shopping and if something strikes you as romantic it'll probably be a winner but I would be careful about useless ornament potential.

I saw brilliant reductions in Tierney's Gift Shop, upstairs in Stephen's Green Centre, on Saturday. I think its a closing down sale so everything madly reduced, including really expensive Christmas decorations which they could take out from year to year and remember you by, as most people don't like paying a fortune for them.