appointing a guardian

F

fridayc

i have a three year old daughter, her father doesnt see her very often as he is not at all responsible and has a temper. i want to appoint my own parents as her guardians to her should anything happen to me, can anybody tell me how expensive this would be???

That isn't too expensive. You just incorporate it into your will. That's what I did. You don't have to fill out any forms for it, just state in your will if anything happens to you, you wish to appoint x and y as guardians.

A Deed Of Appointment of Guardians that could be arranged with a Solicitor would be a simple and inexpensive process. Our Solicitor did not charge us for the minimal paperwork required.

The only complication may be the legal relationship the father has with the child, and whether he has any right of say in the appointment of a guardian, but the Solicitor would advise you on this.

You can appoint whatever guardian you want, but in the even of the worst a child will almost always go to the surviving parent, unless they are proven to be unfit. Your wishes are likely to be over-ruled if the surviving parent wants custody.

Back