Applying for planning myself

danny555

I am just wondering has anyone on this site applyed for planning themself and not hired a engineer, I know you must hire a qualified engineer to do a percolation test(this is about 300 euro) but after that I THINK any joe soap can do the rest, I am able to draw the house I want my self using auto cad,Would I be able to send these plans to the council? Or is the engineer planning on a lot more measuring of the site etc that I am not taking in to account,(maybe this is why he wants 3000 euro) surely I will be able to take road levels and give details of the level I want to build the house at.

Re: applying for planning my self

I paid a "planning consultant" 1200 euro - to submit plans last year for me. If you have the CAD experience and access to a photocopier and some common sense it seems to me you could do it yourself. He never mentioned levels or anything like that in the application - the permission grant told us what level to build at and how far back from the road.
I reckon he made up the percolation test results too!
Might be worth a chat (if you can get hold of them) with the planning dept to make sure you will be able to give them what they want.

Good Luck

I paid a guy to submit my plans and application. My opinion is that unless you do this in your job, or are familiar with everything that is needed for an application just get someone else to do it for you! There are a number of different maps required and also a qualified engineer will be familiar with what the council like to see in applications, as well as what they definately dont like to see. Also they will be very familiar with all the building regulations, its important to remember that your plans are used not only for the planning application, they are also a blueprint for the guys that build your house in the end.

I would suggest you get some prices from engineers to submit your plans after you have designed and drafted a plan yourself. You may get a cheaper price considering the engineer wont need to draw up the plans at all! He could basically touch up your drawing to include any info you have omitted. Considering a full planning application is around 2500 and an outline application is 500-1000 you should be able to bargain with the engineer.

Its also important to remember if you forget to put something into the application, it may take a couple of months by the time you are told by the coco its missing and another 5 weeks until they will review the application again, so always remember that time is money, and professional advice is important when it comes to planning applications.

P.S. I dont work in the business so this is totally impartial advice!

with regards to the drawings we did have an architect design our house, however we completed the application ourselves, obtained the relevant maps and used the percolation test somebody else had done on the site (you can do this as long as it is within a certain period of time - we checked with the planner first), we also had a pre-planning meeting to clear up any points on the application we were unsure of. In some cases we provided more information than they required where we felt they might ask us for "additional information". The upshot was that after one "additional information" request which was from a design point of view, we were granted permission.

Planning Application:

6 Copies of Elevations (inc. Dims & Section thru' detail)
6 Copies of Plans (All new build outlined in red)
Completed Council Application Form
Application Fee
OSI Maps
General Location Map
Newspaper Advert
Site Notice

There are other points you need to be aware of what to include. Not overcomplicated though.

Good Luck.

danny555 said:
I am just wondering has anyone on this site applyed for planning themself and not hired a engineer, I know you must hire a qualified engineer to do a percolation test(this is about 300 euro) but after that I THINK any joe soap can do the rest, I am able to draw the house I want my self using auto cad,Would I be able to send these plans to the council? Or is the engineer planning on a lot more measuring of the site etc that I am not taking in to account,(maybe this is why he wants 3000 euro) surely I will be able to take road levels and give details of the level I want to build the house at.

I did applied twice for planning myself and got twice permission granted. Total cost was about €120ish per application which did include the €60ish to Ordnance Survey for getting maps.
On the first application, i omitted to give them the plans for drainage. They call me and gave one week to supplied the missing doc, i.e. they have been kind enough not to reject the app straight away..
My overall experience with planning department (South Dublin) has been very positive, e.g. i felt i was dealing with people willing to help me rather than working against me.
Note: that was for house extension, which is much simpler than when starting from scrath in the middle of a green field..but the principles & regulations are the same
Good luck

Back