applying for mortgage, one dependent

Toms83

Hi, recently separated from partner (not married), but we are still living together until we each sort alternative living arrangements, we have one child, i am currently looking at applying for a mortgage for myself, as we are still living under the same roof i have not yet started paying child maintenance to my ex, but will do once we go our separate ways, obviously ill be putting down 1 dependent on my application but i am thinking would the fact i have not yet started paying child maintenance be an issue, i earn over 3 grand net a month and have 55000 savings and can show steady savings over the last year (1250 a month saved on average), no loans and no bad credit issues. I know having a dependent will affect the loan amount alright. i am hoping that creche fees from the last few years (child now finished creche) on top of rent and proof i can save will negate any future child maintenance payments when i comes to proving i can meet any monthly mortgage repayments. should i even mention how much child maintenance i plan on paying?

just wondering if anyone has any advice so i'm not caught out with anything when applying, cheers.

Last edited:
Central Bank rules limit you to 3.5 times your gross income, though some exemptions are granted. Childcare costs will be factored into the bank's affordability calculations.

What kind of price are you expecting to pay for this property and is this your first property purchase (will determine requirement for minimum 10 or 20% deposit)

Id be looking for something around the 200,000 mark, dont really want to go any higher then that as don't want to be struggling with monthly repayments, put 50,000 savings down for deposit, so around 250,000 total, I'm 40 years old so would be looking at at 25 year mortgage, this would be my first purchase.

I'm just thinking if the bank don't see any child support payments leaving my account when checking my eligibility they may refuse due to this extra financial commitment I've yet to show I can support, or maybe they will be able to deduce that this won't be a major constraint for me from looking at my application as a whole.

200k mortgage will require ~€57k gross salary, which is likely close to where you are with the €3k net per month.

IF you're good on the 3.5 limit, and you can show you have been paying towards childcare and rent in the current place on top of saving €1250pm, you should be in a decent position.