Applying for Mortgage Approval in Principle

2Clueless

Hi all, have MAIP from BOI but applying for improved option with UB. Met UB guy with all documentation. He then asked me to fill out a direct debit form. I thought this was a bit strange and said “Wouldn’t I be doing that at the Mortgage application stage?”. He agreed. Anyone else fill out a direct debit form at the MAIP application stage?
P.S a family friend was, among other vulnerable clients, swindled by a financial “advisor” so I’m a bit wary of financial institutions!

From what I've seen, it's just part of their standard mortgage application pack to speed the process up and have all the signatures required in the one visit. Obviously it's only ever activated if you draw down the mortgage.

The DD mandate is part of the Ulster Bank application form. If an applicant is sale agreed (or switching mortgage) at the time of the application for AIP, then they require the mandate to be completed up front, as Ulster Bank go straight from AIP to loan offer in these cases. If the applicant is not sale agreed, then the DD does not need to be completed until that time.

I wouldn't worry about it either way, though. You gave all of your bank details to the mortgage advisor anyway, and a lot more besides. There's no new information on the DD mandate that would allow anyone to do anything untoward, and the only function of the form is to take mortgage repayments after a mortgage is drawn down.

Best regards,
Dave Curry (broker)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/davecurryirl