Apply for credit card elsewhere in EU

Concrete

Hi All,
Has anyone tried/succeeded in getting a non-Irish credit card (say a French one)?
With KBC ones going to BOI, the options here are limited now (it's only AIB Platinum that gives cashback).
Thanks!

No but it is an interesting idea. Do you know any foreign banks offering a cash back and would have English services

I’d be very surprised if you could successfully apply for a credit card in a member state other than the one in which you currently reside.

Whilst theoretically permissible, the credit card company would encounter significant difficulty collecting monies from the customer in the event of default if the customer normally resided in another member state.

It poses too much of a risk. Open to correction.

French credit cards (at least when I lived there) all had annual charges. Coming from then free-banking Ireland, I ended up keeping my Irish card, rather than getting a French one.

Also they didn't seem to offer true credit cards, rather they seemed to be versions of debit cards, which either debited your account immediately, or at the end of the month (no option to pay the minimum).

I’d be very surprised if you could successfully apply for a credit card in a member state other than the one in which you currently reside.

Whilst theoretically permissible, the credit card company would encounter significant difficulty collecting monies from the customer in the event of default if the customer normally resided in another member state.

It poses too much of a risk. Open to correction.
Thanks - sounds about right alright.

French credit cards (at least when I lived there) all had annual charges. Coming from then free-banking Ireland, I ended up keeping my Irish card, rather than getting a French one.

Also they didn't seem to offer true credit cards, rather they seemed to be versions of debit cards, which either debited your account immediately, or at the end of the month (no option to pay the minimum).
Thanks - that's interesting! There was me assuming that other member states had great deals for their credit cards compared to us (similarly to how they've much lower mortgage interest rates). Like I said in an earlier reply, I hadn't started checking what was available elsewhere yet, as I didn't know if there was any point.

Bear in mind that there are foreign tech financial services companies such as n26 operating in Ireland. The real barrier in opening a foreign bank account (and potentially a credit card also) is things like having a French or Dutch equivalent to a PPSN

Bear in mind that there are foreign tech financial services companies such as n26 operating in Ireland. The real barrier in opening a foreign bank account (and potentially a credit card also) is things like having a French or Dutch equivalent to a PPSN
I didn't think any fintech's offer credit cards in Ireland - do you know of any?

Thanks - that's interesting! There was me assuming that other member states had great deals for their credit cards compared to us (similarly to how they've much lower mortgage interest rates). Like I said in an earlier reply, I hadn't started checking what was available elsewhere yet, as I didn't know if there was any point.
Was interested to see if things had changed much, so I did a little searching. This is the cost of a standard debit card with some of the major French banks. The accounts themselves are free IIRC, so you're paying for services on top. Fancier cards (gold/platinum/metal etc) come with more expensive fees. There are a few online banks which do offer free banking, albeit like here, most people like their bricks & mortar institutions

1660343209673.png

Last edited:
Back