Application of Summons to District Court in relation to Possession of Substance

gmarty

(apologies for my first post i did not realie i put the thread in the wrong section, sorry for the inconvenience)

On 19th november 2010 I made the biggest mistake of my life, I was found to be with possession of a substance (two head shop tabs after a night out).

I was never arrested or received a charge sheet on the night, the following day I went to the Garda station to give a voluntary as I was terrified about what was going to happen. Not even then did I get summons or charge sheet.

This year in Feb I was applying for a job and "Possession of Substance came up on my Garda vetting", I talked with the Garda in question and he told me that I should have been in court on December 7th 2010 but it was struck out, and never received any notification about it.

My problem is I have just received another summons for September 2012, but on the summons the application to the district court was made on 31 August 2011, have breached the 6 month time limit, can some one tell me if this summons is void and if it is possible that I do not have to wait to get it sorted until September.

What I had in my possession was not even a drug, but a component that is found in head shop products. Thank you.

Date of incident November 19th 2010
Date of application to district court for summons 31 August 2011
I received the summon 18 May 2012

yes, i agree but my solicitor is on holidays for two weeks, and curiosity has gotten the better of me, just thought i could get some insight in to the situation.

on the summons it read the following - Possession of controlled drug called Trifluoromethylphenylpiperazine, contrary to section 3 and section 27( as amended by section 6 of the misuse of drugs act 1984) of the misuse of drugs act 1977

It seems strange that they would issue a summons for an act that they say was struck off before. If you have to wait two weeks for your soliciutor to come back, could you go to a different solicitor in the meantime, or go to the Guards? The latter might just have made a mistake and if you are lucky the whole matter may be finalised there and then.

thank you for the reply, i have considered going to another solicitor but the one i am dealing with knows the case, there was a bit of pressure coming from some parties to get me to do stuff to get me off this charge, which i will not go in to here and that is why i will wait for my own solicitor, but thank you for he suggestion. My cut feeling is telling me a might have escaped by the skin of my teeth but i wont get my hopes up. Lessons always learned the hard way

Back