Apple iTouch for €160

tosullivan

Just been offered one of these (8GB) for €160. Is it a good price? Amazon doing them for £152.50 which is about same price with exchange rate.

Just out of interest, have you investigated data plans, once you have bought?

I have always wondered where people go once they find iPhones elsewhere

if I was pedantic I'd say it's actually an iPod Touch, not an iTouch, but I'm not...so who cares?

€160 isn't bad for a new sealed model - make sure you have wireless internet access otherwise it will be a complete waste versus a standard iPod.

Also, I had one and when I was prompted to upgrade the software a coiuple of days in, it failed and wouldn't restore so the device was unusable. Apparently this is a common problem, so make sure you have a warranty - I'm (maybe wrongly) assuming this isn't from a retailer, when you say 'offered'.

Also make sure it's a second generation one.

Sorry read it too quickly
I do however have the same question for th "i-phone" if anyone has any thoughts..

A friend got one on O2 pay as you go, then switched in a pre-existing pay monthly O2 3G sim card with much better tariffs including data.

Its a sealed box and is a 2nd gen one. Thing is I was going to buy for the missus for her birthday in July. Thought it was a good price until I started pricing around. Maybe by July it would be cheaper and better to wait???

Its a sealed box and is a 2nd gen one. Thing is I was going to buy for the missus for her birthday in July. Thought it was a good price until I started pricing around. Maybe by July it would be cheaper and better to wait???

There's a new iPhone coming out in June/July, which almost certainly means there'll also be a new iPod Touch announced at the same time, so I'd hold off for a while yet.

Definitely a good price at the moment. I don't think there's plans for a 3rd generation so prices may not drop too dramatically.

I got one for the other half for christmas (07) and she loves it. Given the limited gig, it's more for someone who likes to buy the occasional song they like rather than with a massive collection. Suits the OH down to the ground and buying from iTunes is a doddle on it.

The other apps are great, email, web, google maps, etc and it's always handy to have around when we're out.

There has been a few glitches with the software upgrades. Currently it's best to upgrade and purchase new apps when connected to computer and through iTunes that way (buying songs of the touch isn't a problem) rather than directly from the touch using wi-fi. It's not a major issue, but does kind of defeat the purpose of the thing. Having said that, OH hasn't really downloaded many apps anyway.

It looks good, easy to use etc, so she'll love it. But it also has enough techno appeal to class as a Homer simpson present and give you something to tinker with.

Whats difficult about iTunes?

It definitely could be a lot more user friendly. 2 examples.

Its not great for changing countries. For example if you buy an iTunes card in the states but your account is in Switzerland or vice versa. You have to switch countries and create a new account.

Its also very annoying that to create an account you need to provide credit card details even if you dont intend to use your CC ever for iTunes. There are ways around this (download a free app and follow the steps from there) but they are workarounds as oppose to the standard account creation.

Not a big fan of iTunes - it could be so good....but it isnt.