Apple iPhone

proon

Folks,
Am thinking of picking up an Apple iPhone in the US (sim free), I am a total novice so will it work when I take it back to Ireland?
Cheers!

I believe it is GSM Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900) with EDGE and 802.11, so it should work in Ireland on the GSM networks.
We use GSM900 & GSM1800 here.
Can you get them SIM free there?
I thought cingular were selling them with a contract only (when it comes out), although I am open to correction.

Yes, I thought that you were restricted to certain operators when purchasing (ie: you had to open a new account with cingular, or whoever). Didn't know they were out yet in the US? Are they not scheduled for release in June some time?

I don't think they work in Europe as the current version is designed for use only with Cingular in the US.

Also, not sure if this affects you, but the current phones don't do 3G yet, and probably won't be out for another year.

I will be in the US during the summer so I can check it out then so thanks for that information.

The version of the iPhone that is being released in the US in late June this year won't work in Ireland. The phone uses the CDMA protocol, rather than the GSM protocol that we use here in Europe.

You will also have to sign up for a minimum 12 month contract with AT&T (formerly known as Cingular) to get one.

There has been some talk of a GSM version, which might be released before the end of the year, but you shouldn't hold your breath for it - indeed you may have to leave some room for a sharp intake when you see the price, if rumours are to be believed.

Not true - iPhone is GSM (Quad band), one of the reasons that Apple went with AT&T/Cingular is because they run GSM whereas Sprint and Verizon are CDMA. This makes it easy to launch the iphone globally, as GSM is the more widely used technology.

see http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html

However it will be very expensive to buy this contract free.

Aha, I see, apologies for my mistake. However the phone won't be 3G compatible (this is where I got my wires crossed), so many of the data-centric applications (Google Maps etc.) won't operate at a decent speed.

My guess for a non-contact price is north of Eur 1,000.

Non contract will never be an option. You need to buy a Hacked one.!
I bought one on EBay for half that, Fully functional on any network