Apartments in Nice

narky

We were supposed to go to Sicily but now that's not on the agenda(it's way too expensive anyway) God i've been trawling through every site you can think of trying to decide where to go on holidays this summer. unfortunately now it's looking like we've to go the first 2 weeks in August so prices are very high. i am so determined to get somewhere for good value but i'm mrs fussy i have to say. flights very cheap to Nice. i've been looking at holidayrentals.co.uk but to be honest my head is wrecked. i know nothing about Nice so no idea where to stay.

have been looking at Estepona too. can anyone give me any advice... which one would you prefer or where in either would you stay?

thanks, i know the questions are vague

Was in Nice this Feb & know it from times past. Used holiday-rentals.co.uk as well.
In terms of areas:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...=43.69931,7.268143&spn=0.014427,0.038624&z=15
You want to stay east of Bld Gambetta (even if it's on the promenade), & south of the railway station. I would say the near the pedestrialised zone (rue massena/de france) or the old town are best from a tourist point of view (but noisy/busy in Aug), the port is an option as well.
The building our appt was in had a fire so we had to move out! This guy was managing some of the other appts in the building & sorted us out:
http://www.riviera-rentals.com/
He seems to manage some nice properties.

thanks for the reply. everywhere just says old town. is it very expensive to eat out? that's my worry that we'll get a bargain and go over there and spend a fortune like in puerto banus for example

You can eat out easy enough for €20-30 per head, less if you hunt around a bit. With an appt of course you can also eat in!

It depends on what type of holiday you are looking for. The old town is busy and the centre for nightlife but very noisy if you are looking for a relaxing break.

What about hotels? I'm thinking of going over for a few days in May or June (long week-end kind of thing) and would like a hotel with sea views, preferably with balcony, but also near shops etc. Any recommendations?

I think the Hotel Suisse on the Promenade is the best value for money (less than 100 Euro/night) for a place with an amazing view in a very good location.
Never stayed there myself. I'm going on feedback from other clients....

That's where we stayed! It was a basic enough hotel, but the views were amazing. The balcony was small, but the view was of the whole promenade and were fabulous. We didn't eat there, plenty of places to eat in and around the market/stalls about 5 min walk away. Beautiful spot.