Apartment (self catering) accommodation Sydney

ATgirl

Hi,

I am going to Sydney with 5 family members for Christmas and New Year 08. I'm having some difficulty getting accommodation for us and I'm hoping we didn't leave it too late.
We are looking for an apartment to fit the 6 of us, self catering, around Darling Harbour/The Rocks area or Manly. Can anyone give recommendations for websites that I can look at?
I was on to one company who were able to quote us, but when I went ahead to reserve, I was told that a minimum of 14 nights was required. We would like to stay for 10 nights.
Or if anyone can recommend an apartment/house that I can contact directly that would be great.
I've done a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks.

Lucky you! I am surprised that company would'nt take that booking for 10 days but I will say that you would want to book ASAP - You will be very lucky to secure somewhere on the harbour at this stage. You are not just competing against tourists, Sydney and other Ozzies will have made plans at least 6 months in advance, I was looking last Year (Jan - Feb) and ditched the idea as the prices were absurd compared to other times of the year, besides Mardi Gras and many were booked out. I would advise you to move somewhere a small bit away from the harbour (because the infrastructure is so good you can be there in minutes) and buy some premium tickets for the botanic gardens outdoor fireworks for new year celebrations to get the most amazing views (even better than an appartment) We did it last Year and it was amazing!

Hi Atgirl.

Very jealous. try www.stayz.com.au it's like daft but for short term/holiday accomodation. I used it loads when I lived in Sydney and was heading away to other cities, holiday areas.

I wouldn't stay in the Rocks, too touristy. Pyrmont is very close to Darling Harbour but will be cheaper - loads of new'ish apartments too. If you're going to watch the fireworks the botanic gardens/ Mrs MacQuaires chair is a good spot alright but you will need to be there early and chill out for the day as it gets mobbed. Other good spots are McMahons point, Balmain (best suburb in Sydney - great pubs & retaurants) or if a little further out from the Gladesville bridge. The other site to try is this is more of a long term accomodation site but if somebody has a place empty they may be willing to let it for the holiday period. Xmas/New Year is summer holiday time and a lot of people get out of the city so try a few aussie forums and you may get somebody willing to rent their home to offset their holiday expenses.

The restaurants down by the Hyatt in the rocks do a great Xmas day lunch, all in for about €140 pp, want to book it early though - do a search on Wolfies.

Enjoy!

I would agree that the transport is so good, you could rent an apartment in somewhere like Paddington (cool area between city and Bondi & other beaches) and be down at the Harbour in 15-20 mins or less, by taxi or bus.
It's also got Centennial Park (Moonlight outdoor cinema!) and great cafes and shopping....

S

Thanks all for your replies. We've sorted an apartment in Pyrmont, ended up having to take it for 14 nights.
Now on to planning our days in Sydney!