Apartment rental in rome

cara mc k

Has anyone rented an apartment in rome for a short break. Heard that this can be a good option as more space and cheaper than an hotel.

Has anyone any experiences or recommendations, any advice appreciated.

Cara Mc K

Why not try someplace really lovely & very different. not a hotel or an apartment but great value in a monastery . It is just a walk from Castel Gandolfo (pope's summer pad), looking out over a lake, 7 mins. in a taxi from the airport used by all Ryanair flights. You can get a frequent commuter train into the city centre or by road it takes about 25 mins. depending on traffic. There is a minibus in the monastery that goes into the centre most mornings & returns later in the day. Prices full board at around 60 Euro per day & half board at about 48. It has a lovely pool & kids are welcome.We loved it & the home cooked food was gorgeous. They have a great website [broken link removed]

I stayed here : [broken link removed] late last year, for a large family gathering (there were 11 of us) and it worked out really well. I've been in Rome a lot previously, but this was the first time staying in an apartment, and would do so again.

- Price-wise it was definitely cheaper than a hotel.

- Lots of space, great for a family, where we could all hang around together in the kitchen or sitting room and sup 'til late. Even if you eat out all the time (v. cheap compared to Ireland) it gets you over the breakfast problem (the italians don't really DO breakfast).

- This was in the Prati area, which was much more residential and Roman than some of the Centro Storico or Termini areas, so it felt more like living there, than just being a tourist....we even had the fun of a power cut one night and had to find candles! But it was still only a 5-min walk to the Vatican.

We were there for best part of a week, it might not be cost effective to do it for shorter....you'll need to do your sums

I got an apt through this crowd last time I visited http://www.rentalinrome.com/

The one we picked was very central -just 10 minute walk to the Colloseum. Works out much cheaper for a crowd. Also the local restaurants tend to be reasonable as you're in residential areas as opposed to the tourist hotspots.
We had some fabulous meals & were surrounded by Italians which was nice