Apartment Leak before Close of Sale

Moro

Maybe somebody can help me out there. I've had a leak in an apartment I have signed contracts for and before sale is closed. The builders say it is now fixed but I really don't feel happy closing the sale now. They have €40K of my money from contracts and €13,250 of this is deposit. I have no guarantee that this won't happen again. Am I still contractually obliged to go through with it? I feel like I'm stuck with something which already has had a fault. It's like buying a pants with a hole in it where the hole has been fixed!

You should probably get a formal opinion from a structural engineer and check with solicitor regarding your options for pulling out.

It's very difficult to prove now that's it's been sealed up again unless the engineer tears the whole place apart again. My solicitor says I am contractually obliged to go through so feel I'm caught everyway. Surely, there is some way out even if contract is signed. I'm afraid the builders will keep my 40K paid on contract.

I feel your pain and really wish you luck with it. I moved into my apartment 2 years ago and i've had nothing but problems regarding leaks. I too feel i have bought faulty goods and if it was anything else other than a piece of property that i could return it!!! The latest leak was from upstairs at the w/e, the builders/Management company told me today a child had been playing in the bathroom and had over flowed the sink. This water managed to leak through the concerte slaps and through my ceiling, dripping off the light fixture. I was told the solution from the management company is to tell the lady upstairs to better supervise her children and not to do it again. Am i mad to believe my apt should be water tight from upstairs, so at the moment if the people upstairs were to spill a bucket of water while mopping their bathroom it would all seep down to me and i've been told i have to live with it that the tenents upstairs have been told to be careful. Is this situation common for apartment living. These are new modern apartments, i really expect better!!!

Back