Anyway to find dealers guide to prices?

blueshoes

Hi,

I know dealers have a little book when it comes to checking how much they would allow for a second hand car. Im just wondering is there anyway I could get hold of this "book" myself to have a look.

I'm after been with a few garages and im been offered more by some(like 1,000-1,500 How can it vary so much?

Ive checked on carzone and the prices seem to be a bit higher on what any of the dealers is offering me. I am trading to buy a bran new car. God i hate car shopping, i'm a woman i dont want to be taken for a ride!!

Please help! :eek:

No you cant get a look at the book.

It's simple enough really, look at what the cars are making on the open market, Take away the price of a full valet, warranty, house charge, full service, tyres etc and what your left with is what your car is worth to a garage as a trade in.

If you car is older that 4 years on most models or has a very high milage for a similar car a garage will not be able to retail your car with a warranty as it can possible have to many problems or can cost to much to do the work (t/belt etc). So it has to be sold trade. It will have to stand the garage even less.

A garage like every business has to make money other wise it won't survive. It has to turn over units. Our margins are very tight on a lot of cars, but you look at a car on the fore court it has to have everything ship shape, you buy a car from a private person or a small time garage no SIMI or ISO or Franchise your always told "Buyer be ware". You can come back to use with a problem you can't to a private sale.

Thank you for that reply Mr2.

Car has recently had 4new tyres and had timing belt and water pump and full service carried out 2weeks ago. I guess I thought I might have got a bit more for it with all the work done to it. Its at 90,000 miles now, and has served me well!!

Another dealer has rang me now and is 500 more expensive than the one I think im going to buy from.

Would it be worth my while playing them of each other? Like what could I get in the way of "free stuff"? (apart from an air freshener and some petrol!!) :p

This will be my 1st new car and im soooo excited as you can probably tell!! (I want to feel like im getting a good deal!!)

Petermack, we would defo be able to put a price on a trade in (same franchise) very quick. We might have to ring the salesmanager in the office and ask him/her as to how many current stock we have and what money we need to have the trade in standing us if the stock isn't moving.
you can see the market is flooded with cars. So cars are staying on forcourts longer and with private sellers aswell.

If it's a different brand of car we will ring x in another garage or trader and he/she will give us the price of what there making and what it has to stand you. There is to many makes/models and spec to remember what the differences are.

Blueshoes, just be straight with the person you want to deal with and say
" x garage is doing it at this price, I would rather buy this car or from this garage etc if you match it". If there is not mad money in the difference you will get what you want close to home. Best of luck with the new car.

The little book is a guide it's not the gospel. It gives us an idea of value but a car is only worth what a person is willing to pay. So I cant give you €18,000 for your trade in if a person walking in off the street is only willing to pay €17,000.

Hi,

I know dealers have a little book when it comes to checking how much they would allow for a second hand car. Im just wondering is there anyway I could get hold of this "book" myself to have a look.

I'm after been with a few garages and im been offered more by some(like 1,000-1,500 How can it vary so much?

Ive checked on carzone and the prices seem to be a bit higher on what any of the dealers is offering me. I am trading to buy a bran new car. God i hate car shopping, i'm a woman i dont want to be taken for a ride!!

Please help! :eek:

I changed my car just last week. Really took my time and shopped around. I decided that I wasn't taking less than 15k for my own car. What a week! I've never heard such bull in all my life. I was trading in a 05 car and was offered from 12700 in Dublin to eventually 15500 in the midlands. Please don't rush into anything. Take your time and shop around. Good luck!

The book is used by car loans companies (or used to be anyway ) to check the loan is equal to the value of the car -you could try checking with a bank?

"What a week! I've never heard such bull in all my life. I was trading in a 05 car and was offered from 12700 in Dublin to eventually 15500 in the midlands"

I too am in the midalnds, and have gotton really bad quotes from garages in dublin. I guess they all want d reg cars up there. ahh well. Ive so found the car of my dreams!

That vrt link you gave me was useful towger, so seems the goverment will be getting €8 of my new car :mad:.

One more question, does anyone know anything about car reg's? Like, say i want 07 - d - 180 where/or who do i contact to see can i get the 180? Or is this possible ive seen in the uk you can get personalised plates. Do i just request it of the dealer?

Blueshoes :cool:

AFAIK, if you want a specific plate you'll have to buy it - and depending on what you want it can cost a lot

The garage will order it from the Revenue when you are ordering your car, they are called cherished plates and they cost around €500. You can only get it in the county you reside, ie you cant get a reg unless you have an address in that county - except for Dublin regs.

Hi again, thanks to everyone for all the information. I found out about the reg and they still have the one i want!! thought it would be long gone. I had to ring rosslare, then send them form with cheque. It cost 315 to get the reg. I hope they get it and no one gets in before me and reserves it!

Collecting my new car in 2weeks, cant wait.

Thanks again! :p

Back