Key Post Anyone who buys a home in 2013 is exempt from LPT until 2017, not just First Time Bs

I think this is incredibly unfair on everyone who is paying the tax, especially those who bought second hand homes in 2014 - why are they different to those who bought in 2013? I hope somebody contests this.

I bought a second hand home in 2014 and have been paying property tax since. Also, as I believe the Law society guidance stipulates that declared property values should be within one band of the current selling price, I am also paying at a higher rate than was originally declared for the property.

Why can't everyone - including those buying new builds - pay LPT based on the valuation guidelines of 2012/13 (whenever the original valuations were done)? It seems very inequitable on an arbitrary basis otherwise.

Any property that was exempt at the first valuation date remains exempt until the next valuation date. (even if sold)
All properties owned by developers and not sold were exempt when LPT was introduced and they remain exempt .

Yes but is it not unfair that second hand homes bought in 2013 are exempt, but those bought in 2014, 2015 etc. aren't? There is no equitable reason for it in my opinion.

LPT exemption info from Revenue

I have had an interesting conversation with Revenue re exemptions for LPT. They are insisting that any person who bought a property in 2013 is exempt from LPT until 2017 (or more specifically end of 2016) - there is no requirement for the purchaser to be a first time buyer.

The property must be your PPR and you must not own other properties.

This contradicts the information on the Revenue website. When I challenged them on this point they conferred with a manager and restated that any property bought in 2013 (irrespective of first time buyer status), that is a PPR and the only property owned by the individual, is exempt from LPT until 2017. The contradiction with the website info was raised by me - the reply was that this was "a new thing" and that the website might not yet be updated.

I asked for this in writing. It couldn't be provided but the person on the line gave me their full name and stated that the call is being recorded and that all the information was verified by a manager.

Ah well, it was good while it lasted...for some...

Back