anyone used Timber frame company called EcotechHomes?

carefree

EcotechHomes was recommended to me and I have sent for a quote.

Just wondering is anyone has experience of them in terms of price, quality, timeframe?

Carefree,

To date I have not had any experience with Ecotech, but I could give you the names of a numbers of other timber frame companies.

Are you looking for a one of house or large scale (development)?

Currently I have a contractor building 120+ large houses for me and find then great. They need supervision and direction but most timberframe companies do.

Carefree,

Like you I am just gathering quotes from tf companies at the moment however I did send my plans to ecotech last week. They contacted us straight away (only company to do this out of 27 TF companies!!) and suggested we meet up to discuss exactly what we want in the quote. I think the chaps name was Alfie. He mentioned that they would be exhibiting at the Galway show last week so we went up to meet them (we were going to the show anyway). Must admit I was very impressed with them and he gave us lots of advice on insulation and alternative heating methods. As I said, I am still waiting on their quote but I would be interested in finding out what other people thought about them.

With regards

Ecotech, I can not be of any help. As a matter of intrest what is square footage of your home/house?

thanks jaid79 but i have many quotes pending from TF companies!
hi august, I think i am right that you have used same architect as me - Shaun? v.v. pleased with his work and his advice by the way!
I have also sent to ecotec and they were v. friendly and helpful. as we are in uk and moving back to kerry it is very difficult to attend exhibitions and meetings. we are meeting with homebuilder in june as we are home for a few days and i am very impressed with them. Expect to get first quotes back in a couple of weeks.
Finally got our grant of p/permission today so well happy and going to celebrate!

Ecotech are good in my opinion.

After talking to a whole bunch of TF companies, I narrowed down to Eco and Cygnum.

Currently veering towards the Cygnum thermal 200 offering, but still open to persuasion!

the most important feature to look out for with Timber Fram emanufacturers is that they are NSAI approved....

the most important feature to look out for with Timber Fram emanufacturers is that they are NSAI approved....

......that's not necessary - if they're a UK or NI company for example (and they sell houses here all the time...), BBA or BRE certification is entirely acceptable - remember, NSAI have no test facilities for housing frame structures/systems, whereas BBA and BRE do, actually test. NSAI only assess on paper.....I prefer physical testing.

Come to think of it, if you're buying a house system from the continent (and people do, as we all know), then equivalent standards from a fellow EU state is also acceptable - you're hardly likely to accuse the Germans/Swedes/Austrians of under engineering things imho.............

AFAIK, the NSAI scheme only applies to traditional timber frame where there is an external brick or block leaf. Companies that provide a closed wall tf construction (where the walls floor and roof are manufactured fully off site, insulated, glazed etc. before getting to site) are excluded from the NSAI scheme. This is mainly done by the high end German/Austrian companies that are importing their houses, most of whom have very detailed forms of certification from relevant European bodies, many of which are considerably more advanced and demanding in their approval and testing systems than the NSAI.

J2K

Hi jaid79 , being following this thread , I just sent my plans to Ecotech, I would be interested in getting some of the company names you have dealt with and in particular TF companies that are working with Structural Insulated Panels (SIP's) , do you have any experince with these panels do they help reduce noise flow thru studded walls ? any info would be appreciated

MudHut