Anyone travelled to Shenzhen in China?

Yellow Belly

I need to travel to Shenzhen in China on business at the end of next month. I have been checking online to try to get the most direct flights possible but at the moment I am looking at anywhere between 22hrs-29hrs travel time as there are stop overs at Heathrow & either Bejiing, Hong Kong or Shanghai.

Has anyone had to make a trek to Shenzhen? Or i beleive it is not actually that far from Hong Kong- is it much hassel to travel between these two cities?

If anyone has any experinece of this trip- your thoughts would be welcome.

I would post this question on the thorn tree forum on www.lonelyplanet.com Many many experienced travellers from all parts of the globe there who will offer excellent advice.

We got the MTR into Shenzan had to get temporary tourist visa from the hotel rep. Seems a lot of workers travel between the two cities.Got the MTR to Lo Wu and then went through immigration
Does not take that long to travel. Think the train station was right beside the square thats all I can remember hope that helps

My other half went there, but from London with Virgin to Hong Kong overnight. It was then a bus to Shenzhen, bus stopped at border and everybody got off, I think it was customs and my other half took his suitcase etc with him even though the driver tried (in Chinese) to tell him not to but he met up again with the bus at the other side. Nobody speaks English and you won't be able to work out street signs etc so be warned. I know he had a visa before he went from the Chinese embassy but not sure about a visa to enter Shenzhen. I'll try and find out some more.

Shenzhen doesn't have many (any?) international flights ...best to fly into Hong Kong and take the buses (there are plenty) straight from HK airport to Shenzhen

Shenzhen is very very close to HK (15 miles or so)